- The first museum in Australia established in 1827 and has over 100 scientists working in its collections and research areas
- Surviving Australia and First Australians Galleries are the most popular with international tourists
- Surviving Australia follows the true stories of Australia’s native animals and how they have adapted and survived over millions of years. See realistic specimens of Australia’s top 10 venous snakes, and how animals have adapted and Australia’s dangerous animals in Surviving Australia
- Our First Australians Galleries - Bayala Nura and Garrigarrang - take you beyond the art and artefacts to explore the diverse beliefs and cultures of Australia’s first peoples. Emphasises the strengths of Aboriginal cultures and explores the Aboriginal history from before European colonisation to the present day, your guests can have an Indigenous experience right in the heart of Sydney
- Families like the dinosaurs, birds and insects and planet of minerals exhibition and Wild Planet.
- Free guided tours everyday at 11.00am and 2.00pm subject to availability
- There are also non-permanent exhibitions changing throughout the year
- Yes, the museum has an Egyptian mummy in our Westpac Two Hundred Treasures Long Gallery.
- Our Dinosaur exhibition uses life-sized models, giant skeletons and realistic animations to tell the real story behind the demise of the dinosaurs
- Only 1% of the 18 million museum specimens and artefacts are on show! We are the only museum in Australia to offer Behind the Scenes tours
- Cost is $15.00 for adults, children 0-15 years are free, family passes are also available
- Allow 2-3 hours in the museum which represents great value and is an all weather attraction
- The Australian Museum shop has all the souvenir requirements that your guests may need from books, Indigenous artefacts and dinosaur toys
- Open everyday except Christmas Day 25 December -9.30am-5.00pm. Phone: 61 2 9320 6000
Facebook – Australian Museum / Twitter @austmus / Instagram @australianmuseum
Contact us: Call Carole Betts on +61 2 9320 6277 or email for more information.