Animal Species:Senator Wrasse, Pictilabrus laticlavius (Richardson, 1839)
The Senator Wrasse changes colour and pattern with growth. The species is endemic to Australia.
Standard Common Name
Purple-banded Wrasse, Senator Fish
The Senator Wrasse changes colour and pattern with growth. Terminal phase males are usually green with a red to purple 'forked' stripe on the side of the body. Initial phase fish are usually reddish to brown with a row of diffuse black spots along the back and faint bars on the lower sides. Juveniles are light red-brown to greenish with pale spots.
The species grows to 30 cm in length.
The Senator Wrasse is endemic to Australia. It occurs in temperate marine waters from northern New South Wales, around the south of the country, and north to the central coast of Western Australia.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
It lives on weed covered rocky reefs. The video, below, shows a typical view of this species as it 'takes refuge' in a stand of kelp.
- Edgar, G.J. 1997. Australian Marine Life; the plants and animals of temperate waters. Reed Books. Pp. 544
- Gomon, M.F. & B.C. Russell in Gomon, M.F, Glover, C.J.M. & R.H. Kuiter (Eds). 1994. The Fishes of Australia's South Coast. State Print, Adelaide. Pp. 992.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Senator Wrasse, Pictilabrus laticlavius, Labridae, green, yellow, pink, grey, black, 'normal fish', 10 cm - 30 cm, stripes or bands, blotches/mottled, rocky reef, marine, adult, blue,