On this page...
A. Your Membership
1. AM Membership commences on the date of purchase and is valid during the period up to, and including, the date of expiry. Please note: as part of our AM Project Discover Bonus Membership Offer:
- New or renewed 12 month AM memberships purchased on or before 31 July 2019 will expire on 31 August 2021.
- Current 12 month and 24 month memberships (as of 31 May 2019 and that expire after 31 July 2019) will automatically have a 12 month bonus extension added to the membership.
2. AM does not offer membership refunds for change of mind.
3. The Museum offers several types of AM Membership as defined below
|Family||Up to two (2) nominated adults and up to four (4) children (18 years and under). Only the named nominated adults can attend as part of this Membership.|
|Family Plus||Up to three (3) nominated adults and up to four (4) children (18 and under). Only the three named nominated adults can attend as part of this Membership|
|Single||One (1) adult (18years and over)|
|Dual||Two (2) adults (18years and over)|
|Concession Single||Senior cardholders, pension card holders (including disability support and aged), Centrelink and Veterans Affairs cardholders, full time students and those residing more than 150km away from Sydney.|
|Concession Family||Senior cardholders, pension card holders (including disability support and aged), Centrelink and Veterans Affairs cardholders, full time students, and those residing more than 150km away from Sydney. Both adults in a concession family membership must hold a valid concession card to receive the concession price|
4. AM Membership is a personal benefits program. Your Membership is not available for corporate or commercial use, for clubs, daycare centres or groups and cannot be on-sold, this also applies to the benefits you may receive from time to time as part of your Membership.
5. Any past, current or future AM Members discounts, offers or promotions cannot be used in conjunction with any other AM Members discounts, offers or promotions.
6. A valid AM Membership grants the named members unlimited entry to the Australian Museum during normal operating hours. You must nominate children in Family Memberships to enjoy kids’ membership benefits.
7. Australian Museum reserves the right to amend terms and/or change Member benefits or privileges at any time, including discounts to its retail shop, onsite cafes / restaurants, events and exhibitions during your AM Membership, including suspending or revoking the Membership program in whole or in part at the Museum’s discretion. If we do this we will give you notice by email and/or by posting a notification on the Australian Museum website. AM is under no obligation to refund membership fees in whole or in part under this clause 7.
8. The AM Members Team reserves the right to cancel a paid AM Membership (without refund) for any breach of any of these Terms and Conditions.
9. By becoming an AM Member, you provide AM with your express consent to receive communications from the Australian Museum by post or email (to the addresses you have nominated) regarding:
i. your membership; and
ii. news, programs, events and offers at the Australian Museum and at any of our business partners.
10. You may opt-out of receiving the things set out in clause 9 (ii) by using the unsubscribe function on any electronic communications you receive from AM or by contacting the AM Members Team to change your preferences. Opting out of these communications will impact AM’s ability to provide you with Membership benefits that would otherwise be available to you as part of Membership.
13. If you have any questions about what personal information of yours is used or stored, you can contact the AM Members Team. Only the Member named on the account will be entitled to access their Membership information.
B. AM Membership benefits
14. Free unlimited general admission to the Australian Museum. (Conditions of entry will apply).
15. Members discounts on selected special exhibitions, programs and events.
16. Access to the Members Lounge with complimentary refreshments. See section I.
17. 10% discount at the Australian Museum Store
18. 20% discount at the Museum’s eateries
19. Monthly eNewsletter with special offers and exclusive giveaways.
20. AM Memberships are non-transferable.
ii. AM reserves the right to implement photographic Membership cards in future. In that event, AM will advise via email and a notification on the website.
iii. Only persons named on the Membership card may use it.
21. Please take care of your Membership Card. If a card is lost a charge of up to $20 per card is payable for issuing a duplicate.
22. Discounted parking is available when you visit the Museum for both Members and Visitors. For current promotion and pricing please see here.
23. To gain entry to the Museum, Members must present a valid AM membership card to admissions staff. All Members and any guests are subject to the Museum’s Conditions of Entry.
24. Additional members may be added to an AM Membership provided the Membership type allows it. Should the Membership need to be upgrade, the Member may be subject to the full applicable Membership fee for that Membership type and will expire on the same date as the primary member.
25. The primary member is responsible for ensuring the details of their AM Membership are up to date so that we can keep you informed about the program.
C. Complementary General Admission Ticket (Free Guest Voucher):
26. One Guest Voucher per adult listed in the AM membership, will be provided at time of membership activation or renewal.
27. The Guest Voucher may only be used by one person per visit per day for a General Admission ticket to the museum.
D. Free Ticket Offer
28. The Free Ticket Offer may be changed or revoked at any time by the Museum.
29. Free Ticket Offer is only valid for new, full priced Memberships. To be a new Member, you must not have had an active AM Membership in the preceding 12 months.
30. Free family tickets are valid for one visit only and cannot be separated for use over multiple visits. Please ensure all family members are present at the time of your visit.
31. Concession memberships of any type are not eligible for free tickets.
32. Free tickets under this offer are allocated in the following way:
|Membership type||Adult||Child (Age 0 – 18)|
|Concession||Not eligible||Not eligible|
33. Additional tickets can be purchased at members’ pricing for additional members of your party at the time of entry or online.
34. The AM reserves the right to have promotions that provide additional Free Ticket Offers.
E. Upgrading your general admission ticket to a Membership
35. Visitors to the Australian Museum choosing to upgrade to a Membership from a general admission ticket are bound by the following terms:
i. A valid AM general admission receipt must be presented at the time of purchase.
ii. Only one admission amount can be discounted from each membership purchased, and at the price paid for the admission ticket.
iii. Admissions must be of an equivalent or a lesser value than the membership they are to be discounted from. For example, the maximum discount available for an adult membership is an adult admission fee.
iv. If the total of the admission ticket value exceeds the total membership value, the Museum will not refund the difference.
v. Upgrades must be made within 14 days of the date of admission as printed on the entry receipt.
vi. General Admission tickets cannot be upgraded online and/or upgraded against the discounted online Membership prices. Prospective Members must present their entry receipts in person to the AM Members Team or via email to upgrade to AM Membership.
vii. Affiliated Organisation Member entry and discount entry tickets cannot be upgraded to AM Membership.
F. Concessional AM Memberships
36. To qualify for AM Membership at a Concessional rate you must present the necessary proof of entitlement at the time of purchase and at any time while on AM premises where an AM staff member requests it.
|Concession Type||Proof of entitlement|
|Student||A current and valid Student Card|
|Pension (disability support and aged)||A current and valid Pension Card|
|Seniors||A current and valid Senior Card|
|Centrelink and Veterans Affairs||A current and valid applicable Card issued by Centrelink or Veterans Affairs|
|Those who reside over 150kms of the AM||Must have a current and valid government issued photographic ID, for example a driver’s license.|
|Family Concession||All adults must have current and valid concession cards (as set out above)|
G. Gift Memberships
37. Gift Memberships are valid from the date of activation either by giver or by the recipient, for the duration of the membership purchased. For example, if 1-year membership was purchased, it is valid for 12 months from the date it is activated by either the giver or recipient.
38. The AM reserves the right to cancel, without refund, any Gift Membership that has not been activated within 6 months of the purchase date.
H. Australian Museum Affiliated Organisations
39. As an AM Member, when you travel interstate in Australia, you can access the following benefits with our Affiliated Organisations as set out below (benefits subject to change at any time by the respective Organisation):
|Affiliated Organisation||State/Terr.||Benefits for AM members (subject to change at any time)|
|Questacon – The National Science & Technology Centre||ACT||
a) Free general admission*
b) 10% discount at the Q Shop (excluding online purchases)
c) Access to the Q Club Members Lounge
d) Questacon Members, who reside within 150km of the AM would be excluded from receiving the reciprocal benefits offered as part of the arrangement.
e) *AM Members who reside within 100km of Questacon would be excluded from receiving the reciprocal benefits offered as part of the arrangement.
i. Examples of postcodes inside the 150km boundaries include: Katoomba – 2780, Lithgow - 2709 Bowral – 2576, Gosford – 2265, Kiama – 2533, Wollongong – 2500.
ii. The following post codes are outside the 150km boundary: Newcastle – 2300, Nowra – 2540, Goulburn – 2580, Bathurst – 2795.
|National Museum of Australia||ACT||
a) Discounted entry to major ticketed exhibitions (at Museum Friends prices)
b) 10% discount at the Museum Shop and Café
c) Access to the Friends Lounge with complimentary refreshments
|Queensland Museum and Sparklab||QLD||
a) Free general admission (excludes paid exhibitions)
b) 10% discount at the Museum Shop and Collectors Café
a) Free general admission to Melbourne Museum
b) Free general admission to Scienceworks
c) Free general admission to the Immigration Museum
|South Australia Museum||SA||
a) 50% off major ticketed Exhibitions
b) 10% discount Museum Shop and Collector's Cafe
40. To be eligible for these benefits,
i. You must reside outside of the state you are visiting to be eligible for the offer.
ii. You must have your AM Membership card available for inspection to access these benefits and you are subject to the rules set by the Affiliated Organisation for their use.
iii. If you live within NSW and are solely a member of an affiliated organisation (and not an AM Member) you are not eligible for the reciprocal benefits.
41. If you are a member of an Affiliated Organisation, you can access the following benefits at the AM:
i. Free general admission to the Australian Museum (excluding all paid exhibitions)
ii. 10% discount at the Australian Museum Store
iii. 20% discount at the Museum’s eateries
iv. Access to the Members Lounge with complimentary refreshments
v. Members discounts on Museum events
vi. When visiting the AM please remember to bring your current Affiliated Organisation’s membership card and valid photographic ID showing your place of residence.
I. Australian Museum Affiliated Partners
42. As an AM Member, you can access the following benefits with our Affiliated Partners as set out below (benefits subject to change at any time by the respective Partners):
i. Archie Rose Distilling Co. – 10% discount off beverages only at Archie Rose Distilling Co (Rosebery, NSW), on presentation of your AM Membership Card. Excludes food, bottle sales and experiences. Over 18s only. Please check www.archierose.com.au for opening hours.
J. Australian Museum Members Lounge
43. As a Member, you may access the AM Members Lounge during the lounge opening hours. The AM Members Team, in their absolute discretion, may restrict your access or require you to wait to access the Lounge in order to manage Lounge capacity.
44. You will need to have your AM membership card and/or photographic proof of your identity with you to enter the Lounge. The AM Members Team reserves the right to deny you access if they are unable to confirm your identity and/or current membership details.
45. AM reserves the right to close the Lounge, re-locate it or cease to operate the Lounge at any time.
46. AM Members have access to complimentary Wi-fi in the Lounge subject to you accepting the terms of that Wi-fi service.
47. AM Members are permitted to bring one guest only into the Lounge. The member must remain with the guest at all times in the Lounge.
48. The AM Members Lounge can become busy. It is a condition of entry into the Lounge that AM Members and their guests enter at their own risk. AM is not responsible for loss or damage suffered by AM Members and their guests while in the AM Members lounge.
49. Smart, casual dress standards apply as a minimum at all times while in the Lounge and entry may be refused if customers do not meet that standard. Bare feet or clothing with offensive images or slogans are not acceptable. AM Members Team have absolute discretion to administer these standards as they reasonably deem appropriate in the circumstances.
50. If you are asked to leave the AM Lounge for any reason, you must comply with that direction.
K. Death of a Member
51. AM Membership terminates automatically on the death of a member. AM will terminate the member's account on receipt of notification of the death of the member.
52. Should the member be part of a dual or family membership, the AM Members Team can re-allocate the membership/s at our discretion.
L. Survival of terms
53. Clauses 11 and 12 survive:
i. the termination of these Terms and Conditions under clause 8; and
ii. the termination or suspension of the AM Membership Program under clause 7.