- Brendon Wood
- New South Wales
- "Nothing lovelier than a blooming age of nature" - perhaps 2nd Officer Tsuchiya was a ladies man?
- "Let me meet you once more! O' dear friend by the strange shore!" - The farewell message to my great-grandmother from Captain Nomura on 19 November, 1911, the day the Kainan Maru sailed from Sydney Harbour to return to the Antarctic.
- More exquisite Japanese art.
- Another beautiful Japanese watercolour. We are trying to identify who the artist was. Evidence so far is pointing towards the Kainan Marus' skipper, Captain Nomura.
- This is my favourite page. On the left is a message in Japanese and signature from the expeditions doctor. On the right is a beautiful seascape watercolour. It looks better in the flesh so go and have a look at the museum.