Museum in a Box is available for set three week loan periods and can be sent to any educational institution across Australia.
The box includes eye-catching minerals, colourful polished stones and samples of igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks. There is also a model volcano that children can 'erupt' and a mini rock tumbler for creating their own polished stones.
- A selection of igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks
- A panel explaining how rocks are made, referring to the ways these three groups of rocks are formed
- A box containing samples of minerals and the rocks that are formed from them
- A panel explaining what minerals are and that rocks are made from various combinations of minerals
- A panel that shows which minerals make up which rocks
- A selection of attractive mineral crystals
- 30 colourful polished stones
- A fossil shell, and the same type of fossil shell cut in half so you can see what it looks like inside. Some shale/slate with fossil leaves in it
- A foam 'Earth Ball' which represents a globe of the earth. The ball can be taken apart to show the inner core, outer core and crust of the earth
- A volcano model that can be used to demonstrate volcanic eruptions
- A selection of books, both factual and more imaginative
A charge applies to loan the Museum in a Box program for 3 weeks. This charge covers booking, handling, maintenance and freight of the box to and from any school or education institution. Please ensure you read the risk assessment before you book. A tax invoice will be sent after you book.
$110 (incl. GST) per box for NSW regional schools, PSFP schools and NSW age care facilities.
$154 (incl GST) per box for Greater Sydney postcodes; 2250 - 2260, 2500 - 2526, 2555 - 2573 & 2745 - 2770
$182 (incl. GST) per box for Sydney Metropolitan schools and interstate organisations.
The Australian Museum applies the designation of Sydney Metropolitan to schools with postcodes up to and including 2234.