On this page...
This engaging full day program has been developed by the Australian Museum, the North Coast Regional Botanic Garden, Coffs Harbour and Taronga Zoo as a specially designed replacement for the popular Evolution of Australian Biota study days. This program is delivered at the North Coast Regional Botanic Garden, Coffs Harbour.
Students will examine fossils, specimens, live animals and plants to understand biological diversity by explaining the relationships between a range of organisms in terms of specialisation for selected habitats and evolution of species.
The Study Day comprises three educator-led sessions of one hour each:
- Theory of Evolution: an Australian Museum educator-led session. Students perform first-hand investigations of fossils, skeletons and genetic data from Australian animals to learn how comparative anatomy and genetics support the Theory of Evolution.
- A North Coast Regional Botanic Garden educator leads students in an investigation of plant reproductive strategies, Australian native plants, both past and present; and plant adaptations for a drying continent.
- A Taronga Zoomobile and educator provides students the opportunity to engage with live animals while learning about the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection. They will explore the impacts that selection pressures have on population dynamics. Students will discover how adaptations increase an organism’s chance of survival while interacting with a selection of Australian animals.
Educator led program details
NSW (incorporating Australian Curriculum)
Module 3: Biological Diversity
Location and dates
Location: North Coast Regional Botanic Garden, Coffs Harbour
Dates: 18-20 June 2019
- Biological Diversity Study Days are also available on selected dates at: Mount Tomah, Mount Annan, Dubbo and Sydney city.
- The Australian Museum has two sessions Theory of Evolution (educator-led) and Evolution on our Wild Planet (self-guided) that provide similar content to the Biological Diversity Study Days.These are run at the Australian Museum in Sydney and can be booked independently throughout the year by phone 02 9320 6222 or email Group.Bookings@austmus.gov.au
- The Australian Museum also runs Virtual Excursions for this topic.
Costs, duration, group size and transport
Cost: $20.90 (GST included) per student.
Duration: Three 60 minute sessions
Group size: Up to 30 students per session (3 sessions per day) - smaller groups may be combined
Transport: Coach parking available
Make a booking
Payment and cancellation
- Decreases or increases in your booked number of students must be advised by 4 weeks before the excursion date.
- If the number of students attending the Study Day is significantly lower (by 5 students or more) than expected, the school will be invoiced for the booked number of students.
- We reserve the right to cancel days/sessions not fully filled.
- An Education Kit will be sent by the North Coast Regional Botanic Garden before your booked excursion date.