On this page...
Students explore Indigenous culture through art and design and create an artwork of their own. .
Museum educator led program (Early Stage 1 - Stage 1)
Students will investigate the diversity of styles, materials and tools of First People’s art practices around Australia. Students will use First People’s art and cultural objects for stimuli. Students will have a variety of activities to choose from using natural materials and Australian native animals and their habitats to design an artwork.
Museum educator led program (Stage 2 - Stage 3)
Students will investigate the diversity of styles, materials and tools used to create artworks by Australia's First Peoples. Students will be inspired by the Australian Museums cultural collections and Australian native animals to design an artwork on calico bags.
NB. These workshops use egg cartons, please advise on booking if you have students with egg allergies.
Educator led program details
NSW (incorporating Australian Curriculum)
History, Science, Visual Arts
Costs, duration, group size and availability
Cost: $10 (GST free) per student with a minimum cost of $100 per session. General entry to the Australian Museum is free for school students.
Duration: 45 minutes per session
Group size: Up to 30 students per session (4 sessions per day)
Availability: Monday-Thursday during school term
Students need to be supervised at all times while at the Australian Museum. There is no set supervision ratio, however we allow free entry for teachers and accompanying adults at the following ratios:
- 1:4 for pre- and primary school groups
- 1:10 for secondary school groups
- 1:15 for tertiary or English language student groups.
- 1:1 for students with additional needs
Additional teachers or accompanying adults above these ratios will incur a cost.
Make a booking
Phone: (02) 9320 6222 or (+612) 9320 6222 for international visitors
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the form on the bottom of the page
When making a booking or enquiry, please provide the following information:
- Name of the person arranging the excursion and their contact details (including email and phone)
- Name and address of the school/organisation
- Which educator-led program and/or self-guided exhibition visit you'd like
- 3 possible dates for the excursion (in case your first preference is not available)
- Approximate number of students
- School year group or level of the students
Confirmation, payment and cancellation
A booking confirmation will be provided by email once your booking is confirmed.
Cancellations made within 7 days of your booking date and “no shows” will incur the full cost for the booking.
Cancellations must be made in writing (by email to Group.Bookings@austmus.gov.au) and you will be provided written confirmation of the cancellation.
Payment can be made on the day by cash, cheque (made out to the Australian Museum), EFTPOS or credit card, or alternatively an invoice can be provided after the visit. We are unable to process individual payments for students/adults in the group.
Planning your visit
There is more information on getting to the Australian Museum including details of parking and public transport available here. There is limited street parking for buses on College St, near St Mary’s Cathedral.
When you arrive
- Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your booked session, to allow time to get through admissions, cloak bags (if required), use the toilets etc.
- When you arrive you will need to provide admissions staff with your booking confirmation number, school name and student numbers for the day. If you have booked through an external provider, you will need to provide the name of this organisation.
- A Museum staff member will be on hand to greet your group. They will brief the students about how to move around the Museum and direct you to areas of the Museum you intend to visit.
- In the event of a late arrival to the Museum or a booked session, some parts of the session may need to be cut from the program to keep to the scheduled finish time.
- Students are encouraged to take photos, video and/or audio to record their excursion. Some temporary exhibitions do not allow photography but you will be advised of this on arrival.
- Teachers and supervising adults are required to stay with their groups at all times.
- Disciplining of students remains the responsibility of teachers and supervising adults accompanying the group.
Cloaking, food and drink
- There is limited bag storage available on site. It is recommended that students just bring a small carry bag with the essentials for the day, however if required, storage can be provided depending on availability.
- There is no space for large groups to have recess or lunch inside the Museum. There is undercover outdoor space –The Garden – which is accessible from William Street. Alternatively, Hyde Park is just opposite the Museum across College St and Cook & Philip Park is across William Street. In the event of wet weather, we can provide a space for students to eat within the Museum.
- Create Consultants operate food and dining options on site at the Australian Museum. For groups, lunchboxes can be ordered up to 5 working days before your visit. For details, and to order, please contact email@example.com or 9320 6182.
- Please let us know when booking if your students have any additional needs or learning difficulties so we can plan to accommodate where possible during the visit.
- The Australian Museum provides access to all areas for those in wheelchairs and mobility vehicles. Further information on accessibility is available here.