This engaging full day program has been developed by the Australian Museum, the Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust and Taronga Zoo as a specially designed replacement for the popular Evolution of Australian Biota study days. This program is delivered at the Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan.
Students will examine fossils, specimens, live animals and plants to understand biological diversity by explaining the relationships between a range of organisms in terms of specialisation for selected habitats and evolution of species.
The Study Day comprises three educator-led sessions of 75 minutes each.
- Australian Museum educator-led session. Students investigate fossils, skeletons and DNA data from Australian animals to learn how comparative anatomy and genetics support the Theory of Evolution.
- A Botanic Garden educator leads a session where students will engage in primary and secondary investigations using native Australian flora to discover cutting edge botanic science developments. Collaborative inquiry based projects using critical and creative thinking will develop students understanding of biological diversity and the theory of evolution.
- A Taronga Zoo educator provides students the opportunity to engage with live animals while learning about the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection. They will explore the impacts that selection pressures have on population dynamics. Students will discover how adaptations increase an organism’s chance of survival while interacting with a selection of Australian animals.
Educator led program details
NSW (incorporating Australian Curriculum)
Module 3: Biological Diversity
The table attached shows which content descriptors are addressed at each session.
Cost: $24.20 (GST included) per student
Duration: Three 75 minute sessions
Group size: Up to 25 students per session (3 sessions per day) - smaller groups may be combined
Transport: Coach parking available
Bookings open Term 4 2019
- Provide your booking request (please include 3 possible dates, preferred venue, student numbers, school and contact details) via phone 02 9320 6222 or email Group.Bookings@austmus.gov.au. Dates will be allocated on a first-in-best-dressed system taking into account availability of dates.
- A Booking Acknowledgement and allocated date will be returned to you via email.
- To accept the booking, sign and return your Booking Acknowledgement within 2 weeks of receipt. Failure to do so will result in your allocated date being released.
- Following this you will be sent a Booking Confirmation. Please ensure all other teachers involved in the excursion have a copy of this.
Please confirm your final numbers by Friday 1 May 2020.
- Cancellations within 4 weeks of your booking date or "no shows" will be charged the full cost of the booked visit. Significant decreases in numbers (more than 5 students) within 2 weeks of your booking date will also be charged the full cost of the booked visit. (Your Booking Confirmation will show the number of students booked.)
- Cancellations must be made in writing by email to Group.Bookings@austmus.gov.au
- Sessions require a minimum of 20 students to go ahead. We encourage you to combine with your local schools and we will assist where possible to join groups to reach the minimum, however we reserve the right to cancel sessions if this minimum number cannot be reached.
- Increases in numbers may not always be possible to accommodate.