Gerry Swan is an ecological consultant whose primary interests are the reptiles of the arid and semi-arid areas of NSW. However, over the past 10 years he has worked with gas pipeline construction companies helping develop best practise for the removal of native animals that become trapped in pipeline trenches.
Current field work involves establishing the population size of the skink Liopholis modesta at Yathong Nature Reserve, and assisting in the SOS program with the Office of Environment and Heritage for the dragon Ctenophorus mirrityana at Mutawintji National Park and Purnamoota Station.
Gerry is also currently updating A Field Guide to Reptiles of New South Wales for the 3rd edition, working on the 5th edition of A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia, and writing a concise guide of the snakes of Australia for the tourist market.
- Swan, G. 1990. A Field Guide to the Snakes and Lizards of New South Wales. Three Sisters Productions, Winmalee. Whitley Award winner-best zoological field guide.
- Swan, G. 1995. A Photographic Guide to Snakes & other reptiles of Australia. New Holland Publishers, Sydney. (reprinted 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010,2012, 2015)
- Swan, G. 1998. A Green Guide to Snakes & other reptiles of Australia. New Holland Publishers, Sydney. (reprinted 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015) Whitley Award winner-best zoological series.
- Swan, G. 2001. A Green Guide to Frogs of Australia. New Holland Publishers, Sydney. (reprinted 2003 twice, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2015).
- Swan, G., G. Shea, & R. Sadlier (2004). A field guide to reptiles of New South Wales. New Holland Publishers, Sydney. (reprinted 2009)
- Swan, G & M. Swan (2006). How to Treat Bites & Stings. Reed New Holland, Frenchs Forest. (reprinted 2007)
- Swan, G & S. Wilson (2008). What Snake is That? Introduction to Australian Snakes. Reed New Holland, Chatswood NSW. (reprinted 2009)
- Wilson, S. & G. Swan 2003. A complete guide to reptiles of Australia. New Holland Publishers, Sydney. (reprinted 2004, 2005, 2006. Second edition 2008, third edition 2010, fourth edition 2013(reprinted 2014)). (Whitley Award winner-Best Field Guide).
- Steve Wilson & Gerry Swan (2003). Reptiles of Australia. Princeton University pres, Princeton, New Jersey.
- Wilson, S. & G. Swan 2009. What Lizard is That? Introduction to Australian lizards. Reed New Holland, Chatswood NSW.
- Cygnet Surveys & Consultancy 2010. Guide des lezards du Parc provincial de la Riviere Bleue. Little Green Frog Print & Design, Terrey Hills NSW.
- Cygnet Surveys & Consultancy 2016. Guide des lezards du Grand Sud de la Nouvelle-Caledonie. Vale Nouvelle-Caledonie SAS.
- Swan, G. 1971. Notes on the growth of juvenile Denisonia signata. Herpetofauna, 3(1).
- Swan, G. 1972. Observations on birth of Bluetongues. Herpetofauna, 5(2).
- Swan, G. 1975. Notes on the incubation and hatching of eggs of the Green tree Snake (Dendrelaphis punctulatus). Herpetofauna, 7(2).
- Swan, G. 1988. A note on a winter aggregation of Lampropholis mustelina. Herpetofauna, 18(1).
- Swan, G. & H. Ehmann 1996. Communal egglaying in the Broad-tailed gecko (Phyllurus platurus). Herpetofauna, 26(2).
- Swan, G. & R. Foster 2000. Confirmation of occurrence of the skink Egernia margaretae in western New South Wales. Herpetofauna, 30(2).
- Swan, G. & R. Foster 2005. The reptiles and amphibians of Mutawintji National Park, western NSW. Australian Zoologist, 33: 39-48.
- Swan Gerry & Steve Wilson 2009. How specialized is the diet of the Bandy-bandy, Vermicella annulata? Herpetofauna 39(2).
- Swan Gerry & Steve Wilson 2012. The results of fauna recovery from a gas pipeline trench, and a comparison with previously published reports. Australian Zoologist, 36(2): 129-136.
- Swan Gerry & Steve Wilson 2015. Where do they all come from? Animal movement immediately following a hummock grassland fire. Australian Zoologist, 37(4): 485-491.
- Ehmann, H. & G. Swan 1985. Reproduction and development in the Marsupial frog Assa darlingtoni, in eds G. Grigg, R. Shine, and H. Ehmann, The Biology of Australasian Frogs and Reptiles. Surrey Beatty & Sons, Chipping Norton.
- Ehmann, H. & G. Swan 1987. An indirect indicator of mating in snakes. Herpetofauna, 17(1).
- Ehmann, H. & G. Swan 1987. Microsympatry, limb characteristics and tail colour in burrowing skinks of the genus Anomalopus. Herpetofauna, 17(2).
- Ehmann, H. G. Swan, G. Swan & B. Smith 1991. Nesting, egg incubation and hatching by the Heath Monitor Varanus rosenbergi in a termite mound. Herpetofauna, 21(1).
- Olsson, M., Wapstra, E., Swan, G., Snaith, E., Clarke, R., and Madsen, T. 2005. Effects of long-term fox baiting on species composition and abundance in an Australian lizard community. Austral Ecology, 30: 899-905.
- Sass, S., Swan, G., Wassens, S. & L. Thompson 2005. A range extension for the Spinifex Snake-lizard Delma butleri (Pygopodidae): a record from the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area, New South Wales. Herpetofauna 35(1).
- Sass, S., G. Swan & S. Coulson 2009. A recent record of the endangered skink Anomalopus mackayi and a description of its habitat. Herpetofauna 39(2).
- Sass, S., G. Swan 2010. A newly discovered population of the endangered Tawny Rock Dragon Ctenophorus decresii in far western NSW and a description of its habitat. Herpetofauna 40(1):52-57
- Sass,S., Swan, G., Marshall, B., Browne, T., and Graham-Higgs, N., 2011. Disjunct populations of spinifex obligate reptiles revealed in a newly described vegetation community near Broken Hill, far western New South Wales. Australian Zoologist 35(3):781-787.
- Sass, S., G. Swan 2010. The herpetofauna of the bimble box-pine woodlands of the Cobar Peneplain, western NSW. Herpetofauna 40(1):39-47.
- Sass, S., G. Swan 2014 Factors influencing habitat occupancy of the endangered Barrier Range Dragon (Ctenophorus mirrityana : Agamidae) Herpetological Review 45(2): 213-216.
- Shea, G.M., G. Swan & R. Sadlier 2000. Ramphotyphlops endoterus (Waite, 1918), an addition to the typhlopid fauna of New South Wales. Herpetofauna, 30(1).
- Wassens, S., S. Sass & G. Swan 2005. Reptile communities in vegetation remnants of the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area, New South Wales. Herpetofauna, 35(2).
- Swan, G. 1997. The Mallee Dragon: Down among the spinifex. National Parks Journal, 41(2).
- Swan, G. 2003. Wildlife in the West – Mutawintji. National Parks Journal, 47(1)
- Swan, G. 2010. Quo vadis: funnels or buckets?. Consulting Ecology, 25.