Image: Grass tree doll - E013815 #2
Cone shaped doll (called 'kum-ma' in the Woppaburra language) collected by Dr Walter Edmund Roth in 1897 from the Keppel Island Group, the ancestral/traditional island homelands of the Woppaburra People. It was purchased by the Museum in 1905, and is made from the butt of a grass tree, Xanthorrhoea, painted with red ochre. Roth observed girls and women nursing dolls in their arms like babies. They were given to young girls as a charm to produce many healthy children, and were buried with the women when they died.
- Rebecca Fisher
- © Australian Museum