The Australian Museum invites eligible students currently enrolled in Scientific Illustration courses (or equivalent) within Australia to apply for the AM Scientific Illustration 2020 Scholarship.
The inaugural Scholarship was awarded in 2017 to coincide with the Australian Museum’s 190th Anniversary. It celebrates our rich history of natural history illustration, as shown through the AM’s collection of work by Harriet and Helena Scott, two of 19th Century Australia’s most prominent natural history illustrators.
Recipient of the 2017 Scholarship, Sami Bayly, has since published The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Ugly Animals, a stunning hardcover book that has received rave reviews and an acknowledgement from Sir David Attenborough. Sami’s book will be available to purchase from the AM store following our reopening in Spring 2020.
Entries for the AM’s Scientific Illustration Scholarship are now open and will close on Thursday, 30 April 2020 at 5pm sharp.
How to apply for AM Scientific Illustration Scholarship 2020
The AM seeks to award one A$5000 scholarship to a current student enrolled in a Scientific Illustration course (or equivalent as approved by the AM) within Australia. The Scholarship will be paid directly to the winner’s tertiary education institution to be applied to cost of the winner’s Scientific Illustration course.
Scholarship Key Dates
- Applications open: Sunday, 8 March 2020
- Applications close: All applications must be received electronically by the AM to the Scholarship Email address no later than: 1700hrs, Thursday 30 April 2020 (AEST)
- AM contact the winner: Friday, 8 May 2020
- AM public announcement of winner at presentation event: 900hrs, Saturday 9 May 2020 (AEST)
- be an Australian Citizen or must have been a legal resident of Australia for the past two consecutive years prior to the Scholarship being awarded;
- be currently enrolled in a tertiary level Scientific Illustration course (or equivalent as approved by the AM);
- submit a one-page Submission alongside a portfolio of original scientific illustration work (up to four pieces of work only) to the Judging Panel.
- submit an Scholarship Application Form, co-signed by the applicant’s course supervisor.
Guidelines for Submissions
To submit your application for AM's Scientific Illustration Scholarship, please complete the form on the bottom of the page and supply the following with your Submission:
- No more than four (4) image files of your nominated illustrations for your Portfolio - they must have been executed within the two years prior to the entry closing date and not have been submitted for consideration before. Nominated artworks must:
- contain one image of each illustration,
- be in jpeg, jpg, png or gif format only,
- in 300dpi, maximum 3MB in size,
- have clearly labelled file names. Each file should contain the artist's surname (capitals), first name (lowercase), number of the work submitted (corresponding to the number of the artwork image submitted) and title of the work. eg. SMITH_Joe_01_MonaLisa, SMITH_Joe_02_Water Lilies, SMITH_Joe_03_Yellow Flowers,
- be supplied with one Artist Statement describing your Portfolio (up to 150 words max per work), in doc format only.
- One page (A4) Artist CV, in doc format only, giving current biographical / course information. No additional material, text or images will be viewed by the panel.
- A signed Application Form document in PDF. The Application Form for the AM Scholarship is available to download in a PDF format. This document must be reviewed and signed as part of your application.
- Compile your Portfolio, Artist Statement, CV and signed Application Form in a file sharing platform of your choice, eg. Dropbox, Google Drive and supply the link in the 'Submission URL' field on the form below. Make sure the sharing settings are set to Public.
- Submit your application using the form below no later than Thursday, 30 April 2020 at 5pm sharp.