On this page...
Available August to November 2019
My name is Lennart, 24 years old, from Germany and currently holding a WHV (Subclass 417). I am obviously an ocean lover, looking for a remote island to work on. I am available from 01.08. to 01.12 full time working on Lizard Island.
Currently working as a PADI Dive Instructor for Divers Den in Cairns, QLD (Since January). I teach courses, snorkel and dive guide, operate the tender, deckhand, mooring operations, execute safety briefings and much more. +-500 Dives, 35 certification count so far, EFR Instructor, own gear. I work up to 7 days on our liveaboard as well, so remote areas are not an issue for me!
I have a bachelor of engineering degree in building service technologies with focus on chemical engineering (water treatment). In my last semester I worked for BWT Best Water Technologies AG fulltime as a laboratory technician, analysing water samples of all kinds. This includes inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry (ICP-OES), auto titration, auto photometry and general chemical analysis. In addition to that, I was involved in research and development. I planned, mounted and supervised a test plant for anticorrosive technologies. Its test results and survey report were used for my bachelor thesis. During University and 2 years before, I worked throughout as a service technician/plumber.
I do have boating experience such as recreational unrestricted boat driving licenses, marine radio certificate and pyrotechnics. I am trained in first aid + advanced resuscitation (HLTAID003 + HLAID007) and holding an AS2299.
The ocean is my home and refugee. I want to live and work nearby. I don't mind not earning money, as long as my workforce is required and I am participating in important projects. I work well as team player am very reliable, organized and willing to learn. I like cooking and caring and do not smoke. I live vegan and refuse all kinds animal products but am uncomplicated with this and do not need a very special treatment. I am absolutely keen to hear from hear you. Registered 26 May 2019
Available September to December 2018 and in 2019
Here's my info:
- Kate, USA
- Sept-Dec 2018, April-June 2019, Sept-Dec 2019
- I work a seasonal job and would travel to Aus/LI to assist researchers.
- I am a 'retired' coral biologist now living in the mountains and would like to continue to contribute to reef biology where and however I can.
- PADI Divemaster, 500+ hrs logged. I have 100+ hrs at Lizard Island, Also been diving at Keppel, Orpheus, Townsville, other sites of the northern GBR, PNG, Hawaii, Roatan, Mariana Islands, Japan and Palau (this May).
- I am current with O2, 1st Aid, and AS2299.
- I have extensive experience in the field, 90% of my diving has been for marine bio field work. I am a graduate of the JCU BSc and Grad Dip programs. More specifically I have assisted 5+ PhD students and professors with their field work at Lizard Island. I have worked on coral disease, cardinal fish habitat preference, reef fish mortality, chaetodon behaviour, reef diversity and functionality assessments, baseline and long term monitoring surveys, etc...
- I do well with island life. I am a good cook. I am good at jimmy-rigging anything above or below water. I am a certified yoga teacher and we can do some yoga if desired. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a hard worker and I like to be busy working. I am quick and efficient with data entry. I have boat driving experience. And more... Registered 4 Feb 2018
Available September 2018 to September 2019
My name is Matthew. I am available from September of 2019 for 12 months to September 2020. This is possible as I am as Biology Bsc student currently studying at the University of Bath and I have a placement opportunity in my third year.
Being a keen diver since the age of ten, I have always wanted to dive the GBR and now more than ever with the increasing threat of coral bleaching occurring. Furthermore, I would love to gain experience working on coral/ marine conservation and since watching the documentary 'Chasing coral' have become entirely focused on helping make a change - I believe this work will be the first step on that journey.
I am a qualified PADI dive-master with a total of 90 dives. 7 in Dahab, Egypt (Red sea); 12 in Oman (Gulf of Oman); 2 in Koh Lanta (Andaman sea), Thailand and the remainder in Gili Trawangan (Bali sea), Indonesia where I carried out my dive-master training. If accepted onto a research project I will complete all necessary preliminary requirements prior to my arrival including an AS2299 diving medical in Australia and also ensure my CPR training and emergency oxygen provider training is up to date.
In regard to field experience, I currently have little except what I learnt through the dive-master programme. However, I intend to gain work experience with the UK based CEFAS organisation this coming summer - thus would have experience in sampling and analysis on arrival in 2019/2020.
Through my time in the army cadet force in school I have learnt not to be fussy and to deal with uncomfortable living conditions, thus am perfectly competent for research in more strenuous environments others may have issue with. Furthermore, through this experience I have learnt discipline and organisation, which would be essential in such a research environment not only to ensure efficient use of time but also reduce irritation to co-researchers in the intense living conditions. I also have experience working in kitchens and the catering industry and could offer these skills to the research team during our stay. I do not smoke and am an easy going and communicative individual. Registered 21 Feb 2018