Evolution of Australian Biota Study Day - Mount Tomah
A full day outreach program for Stage 6 Biology students.
This full day outreach program, developed by the Australian Musuem, the Royal Botanic Gardens and Taronga Zoo, is held at The Blue Mountains Botanic Garden, Mount Tomah. Students examine fossils, specimens, live animals and plants to investigate the evolution and adaptations of Australian animals and plants.
The Study Day comprises three educator-led sessions of one hour and 15 minutes duration each.
- An Australian Museum educator provides an introduction on Australian megafauna then facilitates the Museum session, Learning from fossils. Students work in small groups and perform first-hand investigations using fossils and specimens of Australian animals to compare current and extinct forms. Activities focus on Australian megafauna and on platypus evolution.
- A Blue Mountains Botanic Garden educator leads a session where students investigate native Australian plants, including the forests of Gondwana, living plant fossils, and pollination strategies.
- A Taronga Zoomobile and educator visits the Garden allowing students to interact with live animals while learning about the adaptations and evolution of native Australian animals including kangaroos and echidnas. The changing ideas of scientists are also considered with reference to the modern Platypus.
- Bookings are essential
- Maximum number of students: 25 per session (3 groups per day)
- Duration: Three 75 minute sessions – usually 9.45 am to 2.30 pm
- Cost: $24.20 per student (minimum cost per session is $484.00 or 20 students per session). If you have a small group please contact other schools in your area to make up numbers for one session if required.
- Location: The Blue Mountains Botanic Garden, Bells Line of Road, Mount Tomah
- Transport: Coach parking available
- Botanic Gardens Trust Risk assessment
- 16 - 17 August 2017
Booking changes or cancellations:
- Decreases or increases in your booked number must be advised by 4 weeks before the excursion date.
- Cancellations within 4 weeks will be charged the minimum cost ($484.00).
- Evolution of Australian Biota Study Days are also available on selected dates at:
Education Resource Kit
When your booking is confirmed you will be emailed a link to the education kit and the password to allow you to access these documents:
- Teacher Notes
- Student Activity Sheets for all three sessions
Beth Blaxland , Education Project Officer