Evolution of Australian Biota Study Day - Coffs Harbour
A full day outreach program for Stage 6 Biology students.
This program is held at the North Coast Regional Botanic Garden, Coffs Harbour. Students examine fossils, specimens, live animals and plants to investigate the evolution and adaptations of Australian animals and plants.
The Study Day comprises three educator-led sessions of one hour each:
- An Australian Museum educator facilitates as students work in small groups and perform first-hand investigations using specimens of Australian animals to compare current and extinct forms.
- A North Coast Regional Botanic Garden educator leads students in an investigation of plant reproductive strategies, Australian native plants, both past and present; and plant adaptations for a drying continent.
- A Taronga Zoomobile educator leads a session allowing students to interact with live animals while learning about adaptations and evolution of native Australian animals.
- Phone North Coast Regional Botanic Garden on (02) 6648 4896 or Fax (02) 6652 1773
- Maximum number of students: 30 per session (3 groups per day) – smaller groups may be combined
- Duration: Three one-hour sessions
- Cost: $20.90 (incl GST) per student
- Location: North Coast Regional Botanic Garden, Coffs Harbour
- Transport: Coach parking available
- North Coast Regional Botanic Garden Risk Assessment Sheet
- 20 - 22 June 2017
Booking changes or cancellations:
- Decreases or increases in your booked number must be advised by 4 weeks before the excursion date.
- If the number of students attending the Study Day is significantly lower (by 5 students or more) than expected, the school will be invoiced for the booked number of students.
- We reserve the right to cancel days/sessions not fully filled.
- These Study Days are also available on selected dates at:
- The Australian Museum has two sessions that are specific to the Evolution of Australian Biota topic – Learning from fossils and Evolution, survival and extinction. These can be booked independently throughout the year and are run at the Australian Museum, Sydney.
Education Resource Kit
An Education Kit will be sent by the North Coast Regional Botanic Garden before your booked excursion date.
Beth Blaxland , Education Project Officer