What's on: Minerals: featuring the Albert Chapman collection
- Event Type:
- Everyday event
- Free after admission
Step into a glittering world of colour and light in this stylishly presented mineral exhibition that features some of the finest mineral specimens in the world.
Many of the minerals in this collection, which was acquired by the Museum in 1995, are considered among the best specimens ever found. The collection is world renowned for its mineralogical diversity, crystal perfection, aesthetic appeal and high Australian content.
All minerals are spectacularly lit, showing off their fine features, breathtaking colours and unique characteristics. They are testament to former carpenter and builder, Albert Chapman's life-long love affair with minerals.
Things to do
- Experience sparkling gems in diverse colours and shapes within three main contemporary showcases. Take the time to view priceless minerals and gems 'up close and personal'.
- See the finest Australian minerals up close. Half of the collection is Australian, with one quarter from Broken Hill, NSW. Many of these outstanding specimens are the best ever to be found in this famous district.
- Examine beautiful classic minerals from old European, African and American localities and specimens from famous collections and with interesting pedigrees - some passed from one institution to another for over 100 years.
- Be inspired to start your own collection and learn how addictive it is to study the beauty and geological value of mineral crystals!
- Browse through the AM Store on your way out and pick up a mineral gift or gift about the natural world including books, toys and games, and the Museum's official souvenir guidebook. Great for kids' presents, local and international tourists, or as a treat for yourself.
For more on exhibitions and events just like this, subscribe to our newsletter by following the link below.
Tags Australian minerals, research on minerals, mineral private collection, Australian crystals, gems, diamonds, rubies, jade, Albert Chapman, rocks, things to do in Sydney, Sydney events, Sydney exhibitions, what’s on in Sydney, precious stones, mineral specimens, mineralogy, gemmology, crystals, permanent, exhibition,