What's on: Surviving Australia Exhibition
Get close to some intriguing Australian fauna.
- Event Type:
- Everyday event
- 09.30 AM to 05.00 PM
- Level 2
- Entry to the AM is free for all kids under 16! Free for adults after admission
If you think Australian wildlife is just about dingoes, koalas and kangaroos then be prepared to be challenged in this fascinating exhibition that unveils some very surprising animal secrets!
Focusing on the weird and wonderful, the familiar and strange, Surviving Australia uncovers the key to the survival of Australian animals – and perhaps even ourselves!
The exhibition is divided into six sections bursting with information on Australia's habitats on land, under water and in between: the Blue Edge, Island Homes, Our Backyard, Dangerous Australians, Adapt or Die, and Where Are They Now?
Discover tales of adaptation and survival over millions of years in a changing climate and landscape.
Things to do
- Wonder at Australian giants (megafauna) from the past including giant wombats, metre-long echidnas and even fanged kangaroos.
- Learn how Australia's top-10 venomous snakes enhance Australia's reputation for being a dangerous place!
- Reconnect with fascinating animals such as the extinct Tasmanian Tiger.
- Discover some surprising residents of Sydney's harbour, coastal waters and offshore islands such as bandicoots residing in Sydney's northern beaches.
- Hear about the latest research and field trips of AM scientists on show in the mini-theatre.
- Uncover how Australia's most dangerous creatures use secret strategies for hunting, catching and killing their prey.
- Browse through the AM Store on your way out and pick up an Australian wildlife or natural world gift including books, toys and games, and the Museum's official souvenir guidebook. Great for kids' presents, local and international tourists, or as a treat for yourself.
For more on exhibitions and events just like this, subscribe to our newsletter below: