The Australian Museum has temporarily suspended all public programming until the end of April 2020 in response to COVID-19. This includes the Community Weekend at the Museums Discovery Centre scheduled for Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th of March 2020.
The safety and well-being of our visitors, staff and the community is our top priority. We are taking this decision as a public health precaution to support measures to slow the spread of COVID-19.
We look forward to resuming our public programs as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding and patience during this time.
Program of activities
Behind-The-Scenes Collection Tours
Venture behind-the-scenes with Australian Museum staff on a fascinating tour looking at some of the largest objects from the collection.
Classic Cars and Transport
Times: 11:30am and 2:30pm
Times: 11:00am and 2:00pm
1:30pm Saturday tour will be Auslan interpreted
Matavai Pacific Cultural Arts
Witness talented youth from the Matavai Show Group perform cultural dances from Pacific Nations. Performers will move through the grounds before their main performance in the Ideation Lab.
Times: 11:30am and 1:30pm
matjka-wuma | String Figures
Join First Nations staff from the Australian Museum and make traditional string figures such as ‘weitj djen’ (emu foot) from Balardung Country in Western Australia or share any you know with us!
Time: 10am–1pm (drop-in anytime)
Dates: Saturday and Sunday, 28–29 March
MAAS Curator tours
Discover fascinating stories behind the collection on display. Plus, try your hand at being a curator and writing your own label for a museum object.
Marvel at our Meccano display. See the collection and demonstrations.
Other things to know:
- Arrive anytime, but general admission pre-registration is essential.
- Last entry is at 3pm each day.
- All activities are organised on a first-come, first-served basis – there will be lots to do!
- A variety of food and beverage options will be available.
- Groups and buses are welcome if you are in a group of more than 8 please call +61 (02) 9217 0111 to book. Buses must drop off and collect only, there is no allocated bus parking area.
- We recommend taking public transport to Museums Discovery Centre as no parking is available on site. A FREE Shuttle bus will be operating every 15 mins from Showground Metro Station and stopping at the Super Centre and the Museum Discovery Centre. The first bus leaves Showground station at 9.45am and the last bus leaving Museum Discovery Centre is at 4.30pm.
- If you have any specific access requirements please call the bookings line in advance on +61 (02) 9217 0111.