Animal Species:Common Cleanerfish, Labroides dimidiatus (Valenciennes, 1839)
The Common Cleanerfish is blue to yellow above fading to white or yellow below. As its standard name suggests the species cleans larger fishes.
Standard Common Name
Blue Streak, Blue-streak Cleaner Wrasse, Bridled Beauty , Cleaner Wrasse, Common Cleaner Wrasse, Gadfly Fish, Janitor Fish (Philippines)
The Common Cleanerfish is blue to yellow above fading to white or yellow below. There is a black stripe from the eye to the caudal fin margin. The stripe widens posteriorly.
It has thick lips and a pair of canines at the front of both jaws.
The species grows to 11.5 cm in length.
The Common Cleanerfish occurs in tropical (and some temperate) marine waters of the Indo-Pacific. In Australia it is recorded from southern to north-western Western Australia and from northern Queensland to southern New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
The Common Cleanerfish occurs on rocky and coral reefs.
Feeding and Diet
- Grutter, A.S., Deveney, M.R., Whittington, I.D. & R.J.G.Lester. 2002. The effect of the cleaner fish Labroides dimidiatus on the capsalid monogenean Benedenia lolo parasite of the labrid fish Hemigymnus melapterus. Journal of Fish Biology. 61: 1098-1108.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Senior Fellow
Tags fishes, ichthyology, Common Cleanerfish, Labroides dimidiatus, Labridae, blue, yellow, white, 'normal fish', 10 cm - 30 cm, countershaded, stripes or bands, rocky reef, coral reef, marine, adult, big lips,