Biological Diversity Study Days - Dubbo
A full day outreach program for Stage 6 Biology students.
This engaging full day program has been developed by the Australian Museum, the Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust and Taronga Zoo as a specially designed replacement for the popular Evolution of Australian Biota study days. This program is delivered at Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Dubbo.
Students will examine fossils, specimens, live animals and plants to understand biological diversity by explaining the relationships between a range of organisms in terms of specialisation for selected habitats and evolution of species.
The Study Day comprises three educator-led sessions of 75 minutes duration each:
- Theory of Evolution: An Australian Museum educator-led session. Students perform first-hand investigations of fossils, skeletons and genetic data from Australian animals to learn how comparative anatomy and genetics support the Theory of Evolution.
- A Royal Botanic Gardens educator leads the students in a session where students investigate native Australian plants, both past and present, including living plant fossils and pollination strategies.
- Taronga Zoo provides students the opportunity to engage with live animals while learning about the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection. They will explore the impacts that selection pressures have on population dynamics. Students will discover how adaptations increase an organism’s chance of survival while interacting with a selection of Australian animals.
Bookings: Phone Taronga Western Plains Zoo on 02 6881 1433 or Fax 02 6884 4530
Maximum number of students: 30 per session (3 groups per day) - smaller groups may be combined
Duration: Three 75 minute sessions
Cost: $20.90 (incl GST) per student. Special 'Zoosnooz' rates available.
Location: Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Dubbo
Transport: Coach parking available
Terms & Conditions
- Decreases or increases in your booked number must be advised no later than 4 weeks prior to the excursion date.
- If the number of students attending the Study Day is significantly lower (by 5 students or more) than expected, the school will be invoiced for the booked number of students.
- We reserve the right to cancel days/sessions not fully filled.
- Biological Diversity Study Days are also available on selected dates at: Coffs Harbour, Mount Tomah, Mount Annan and Sydney city.
- The Australian Museum has two sessions Theory of Evolution (educator-led) and Evolution on our Wild Planet (self-guided) that provide similar content to the Biological Diversity Study Days. These are run at the Australian Museum in Sydney and can be booked independently throughout the year by phone 02 9320 6222 or email Group.Bookings@austmus.gov.au
- The Australian Museum also runs Virtual Excursions for this topic
Education Resource Kit
An education kit will be sent by Taronga Western Plains Zoo before your booked excursion date.
Vanessa Gardos , Manager, Education