Animal Species:Two-line Monocle Bream, Scolopsis bilineata (Bloch, 1793)
The Two-line Monocle Bream can be recognised by its colouration. It occurs in tropical marine waters of the Western Pacific.
Standard Common Name
Two-line Monocle Bream
Bridled Monocle Bream, Bridled Spinecheek, Double Lined Coral Bream, Monocle Bream, Yellow-finned Spine-cheek
The Two-line Monocle Bream can be recognised by its colouration. It has a black-edged white bar curving up from the mouth to the middle of the dorsal fin. There are two white lines above and behind the eyes. The spinous dorsal fin is yellow and there is a white region on the back below the soft dorsal fin.
The species grows to 23 cm in length.
It occurs in tropical marine waters of the Western Pacific. In Australia it is known from the central coast of Western Australia, around the tropical north of the country, and south to the central coast of New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Allen, G.R. & R. Swainston. 1988. The Marine Fishes of North-Western Australia. A Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 201.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Myers, R.F. 1999. Micronesian Reef Fishes. Coral Graphics. Pp. 330.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Two-line Monocle Bream, Scolopsis bilineata, Nemipteridae, tropical water, marine, Bridled Monocle Bream, Bridled Spinecheek, Double Lined Coral Bream, Monocle Bream, Yellow-finned Spine-cheek, stripes or bands, yellow, black, 10 cm - 23 cm,