Structuring insect field observations
Suggestions for structuring field observations of insect pollinators.
- Choose a time of day that is not to windy or dry.
- Each member of the group chooses a small area (2mX2m) to carefully observe for a limited time (10 minutes)
- Create an 'observation frame' by cutting a 1cm X 1cm square in the centre of a card. Hold the card at arm’s length to frame the area to be observed.
- One team member observes just one insect and reports its activities at 10 second intervals, or as action changes (i.e flying landing on a flower – describe flower colour scent, shape and insect).
- One member of the team records observations, swap role after 3 minutes.