Staff profile: Mr Sheldon Teare
- Position title:
- Materials Conservation & Analytical Resources
- +612 9320 6419
- Contact Mr Sheldon Teare using the form below
I work as an Objects Conservator across the Museums Collections, but specialize in Natural Sciences Collection materials. I coordinate and undertake the majority of Natural Sciences conservation treatments within the department.
I joined the Materials Conservation department in April 2010. So far I have worked across the Natural history and Cultural collections on a number of conservation projects. Before I started at the Australian Museum I was part of the Conservation department at Museum Victoria, working mainly with ethnographic, social history, and decorative arts collection materials. I trained as a conservator at the University of Melbourne and specialized in objects conservation.
Before working as a professional conservator I volunteered in a number of conservation labs, in both Australia and New Zealand. My previous studies were in Classical Studies, focusing on art and history of ancient Greece and Rome, as well as a large Archaeology component. I have a strong interest in Natural Science, especially Biological Anthropology and Archaeozoology, which comes in handy here when working with natural history collections.
- Lead Conservator preparing Deep Oceans exhibition and tour
- Overseeing the careful pack up of collection material in the Birds of Paradise exhibition for interstate tour
- Carrying out detail conservation analysis and treatment for a number of commercial projects
Masters of Arts in Cultural Materials Conservation - The University of Melbourne 2008
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Classical Studies - The University of Otago 2006
- Committee Secretary, New South Wales Division, Australian Institute of the Conservation of Cultural Materials (AICCM) 2012 - present
- Committee Member (General, New South Wales Division), Australian Institute of the Conservation of Cultural Materials (AICCM) 2010 - 2012
- Committee Member (General, Victoria Division), Australian Institute of the Conservation of Cultural Materials (AICCM) 2009 - 2010
- Professional Member, Australian Institute of the Conservation of Cultural Materials (PMAICCM) 2013 - current
- Member, Australian Institute of the Conservation of Cultural Materials (AICCM) 2007 - current
- Member, Institute of Conservation (ICON) 2008 - current
- Member, Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections (SPNHC) 2010-current