Staff profile: Mr Michael Kelly
- Position title:
- Materials Conservation & Analytical Resources
- +612 9320 6206
- Contact form:
Michael joined the unit in 1989. He has worked across the museum’s ethnographic, archaeological and natural science collections and on numerous exhibition projects. He has undertaken an extensive specialist training program with the unit’s Senior Paper & Book conservator over a number of years and completed further formal studies in book restoration and paper conservation. Former projects include the rebacking of a number of leather bound & hand-sewn volumes of “The Naturalist‘s Miscellany” by George Shaw & E. Nodder, published circa 1790 and the conservation treatment of a Renaissance encyclopedia “Icones Animalium” published in 1560. He is the unit’s Coordinator for Temporary Exhibitions and is responsible to facilitate the management of activities and projects under this area.
- Menagerie – Contempory Indigenous Sculpture in Australia touring exhibition 2009-12.
- Tiwi Footy exhibition 2010.
- Birds of Paradise exhibition, opening 2011.
- Conservation treatments and archival storage of paper-based materials
- Operating and maintaining the low-oxygen fumigation chamber.
- Diploma of Fine Arts - The University of New South Wales 1982.
- Certificate III in Book Restoration - Sydney Institute of Technology 2001.