Staff profile: Megan Dean-Jones
- Position title:
- Contact Megan Dean-Jones using the form below
I work as an Objects Conservator across the Museum’s collections. I coordinate the Materials Conservation input into the New Acquisitions Program and aspects of the Disaster Preparedness Program for the Museum. As the storage specialist, my particular strength is designing and creating custom-made housing to protect all types and sizes of collection material whilst in storage or on loan to other cultural institutions. I undertake remedial and complex treatments on all collection types to maintain the collection and meet the demands of both the in-house exhibition and Outward Loans programs.
I’ve been working for the Materials Conservation team in a variety of capacities since 2002. I work across the Natural Sciences and Cultural collections as our busy schedule requires on numerous ongoing and short-term conservation projects.
Before working as a professional Conservator, I initially volunteered here at the Australian Museum Conservation laboratory. I have also worked for the St George Regional Museum as a Collection Manager and at the University of Sydney Museums and Gallery in the Materials Conservation lab. My previous studies were in Psychology, Modern Languages and Graphic Design. I spent about a decade working as a Graphic Designer for international advertising agencies and the Australian magazine industry, including the Australian Women’s Weekly. My keen eye, design background and manual dexterity have proved to be very valuable assets in the Materials Conservation context.
- As the conservation representative on the New Acquisitions Committee for the Australian Museum, I am engaged in assessing the viability of acquiring cultural material as part of the Museum’s ongoing program of collection development
- Preparing the careful pack up of collection material held in both on and offsite storage areas in readiness for the move to the Castle Hill storage facility
- Maintaining aspects of the Australian Museum’s Disaster Preparedness program including delivering training to general museum staff
- Carrying out detailed conservation analysis and treatment of collection material for multiple new in-house exhibitions like the Wild Planet gallery and gallery renewal projects
- Masters of Arts in Museum Studies (with merit) - The University of Sydney 2007
- Bachelor of Arts, double major, Psychology & Italian - The University of Sydney 1990
- Graphic Design Certificate (awarded 2nd place) – Randwick Technical College 1981
- Committee Member (General, New South Wales Division), The Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Material (AICCM) 2015 - current
- Member (General, New South Wales Division), The Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Material (AICCM) 2002 - current