Staff profile: Fran Smith
- Position title:
- Research Library
- Corporate & Knowledge Services
- Public Programs & Operations
- +612 9320 6384
- Contact Fran Smith using the form below
I have worked in the Museum since 2002 and before that worked as a volunteer in the Research Library. I have worked in the State Library and at the Biomedical Library and the Library at the Oatley Campus of the University of New South Wales and in Rockdale Community Nursery.
As a librarian in the Research Library, I carry out work as diverse as
- answering reference queries from the staff of the museum and the general public. These can be about whether the library has a certain journal or book, whether I can get a copy of an article which the library does not hold, whether I can supply information on a reference, a bird, an animal or an anthropology subject. All of these can be answered from the library’s collection, other libraries or the web.
- co-ordinating the conservation of the rare and valuable books by our volunteers , co-ordinating and carrying out the movement of parts of the collection of the Main library and the Department libraries,
- cataloguing books in the collection and
- carrying out the other usual tasks of a library, loaning books, processing them, keeping track of them using our computer catalogue and card catalogue.
Bachelor of Science, Entomology, University of Queensland
Diploma of Librarianship, University of New South Wales
Certificate 3, Horticulture, Padstow TAFE