Staff profile: Dr George D. F. (Buz) Wilson
- Position title:
- Principal Research Scientist
- Marine Research
- Research & Collections
- +612 9320 6287
- Contact George D. F. (Buz) Wilson using the form below
My specialties include marine biology, systematics of isopod crustaceans (e.g., marine and freshwater “slaters”), for which I have authored 171 new species, 42 new genera and 4 new families (as of 2012) and deep-sea biological oceanography. I am also interested in arthropod systematics, biogeography and quantitative biodiversity studies, especially in the deep-sea and more recently on marine macroalgal substrates.
My research at the Australian Museum deals with the systematics and phylogeny of isopods, especially suborders Asellota and Phreatoicidea, as well as of other crustaceans. I employ integrative systematic methods (e.g., light microscopy, scanning electron microscopy and DNA sequence analysis), and include both fossil and living species in my research. Several recent publications continue my interest in quantitative biodiversity studies of both deep-sea and shallow marine faunas. My research includes monographic studies of Australian species and higher taxa, and detailed studies on especially biologically diverse regions in Australia, like Kakadu.
- B.A. (Zoology) with distinction (Phi Beta Kappa), 1969: Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA
- M.Sc. (Biological Oceanography), 1972: University of California San Diego, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, California, USA
- Ph.D. (Marine Biology) 1985: University of California San Diego, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, California, USA
- Prior to joining the Australian Museum in 1991, I was Associate Research Scientist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla, California, where I had previously received my M.Sc. and Ph. D. Much of my work at SIO revolved around quantitative biodiversity and community structure research on animals that live on the deep-sea floor.
Featured Websites & Projects
- Australian Society for Limnology
- Biological Society of Washington
- The Crustacean Society
- Society for Systematic Biology
- Willi Hennig Society
Selected Research Projects
- 2008 Phylogeny of the Isopoda among the Peracarida. More
- 2005 Biodiversity of the Arafura Sea. More
- 2004 A species flock of Eophreatoicus from Kakadu National Park. More
- 2002 Biodiversity of algal substrates. More
- 2001 Species richness of the Isopoda of the Gulf of Mexico. More
- 1999 Systematics of freshwater isopods (Phreatoicidea). More
- 1985 Structure of deep-sea invertebrate assemblages, especially Isopoda. More
- 1970 The systematics and phylogeny of deep sea isopods (Asellota). More
- Wilson G. D. F., Osborn A. W., Forteath G. N. R. 2012. Two new species of Colubotelson Nicholls, 1944 in Tasmania's Lake Pedder: persistence of Phreatoicidae (Crustacea, Isopoda) therein. Zootaxa 3406: 1–29.
- Park T.-Y. Wilson G. D. F., Lee D.-C., Choi, D. K. 2012. Occurrence of the isopod Archaeoniscus coreaensis n.sp. from the Lower Cretaceous Jinju Formation, Korea. Journal of Paleontology 86: 626-640.
- Riehl T., Wilson G. D. F., Hessler R. R. New Macrostylidae Hansen, 1916 (Crustacea: Isopoda) from the Gay Head–Bermuda Transect with special consideration of sexual dimorphism. Zootaxa 3277: 1-26.
- Wilson, G. D. F., Paterson, J., Kear, B. P. Fossil isopods associated with a fish skeleton from the Lower Cretaceous of Queensland, Australia – direct evidence of a scavenging lifestyle in Mesozoic Cymothoida. Palaeontology. 54(5): 1053–1068. Abstract
- Wilson G. D. F., Sims C., Grutter A. S., 2011.Toward a taxonomy of the Gnathiidae (Isopoda) using juveniles: the external anatomy of Gnathia aureamaculosa zuphea stages using scanning electron microscopy. Journal of Crustacean Biology 31(3): 509-522. Abstract
- Wilson, G. D. F., Ranga Reddy, Y. 2011. Andhracoides shabuddin gen. nov., sp. nov., a new phreatoicidean isopod (Crustacea, Hypsimetopidae) from hypogean aquatic habitats in Andhra Pradesh, India Zootaxa. 2869. 37–53. (http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/list/2011/2869.html). ISSN 1175-5326 Abstract
- Wei, C.-L., Rowe, G. T. Hubbard, G. F., Scheltema, A. H.,Petrescu, I., Wilson, G.D.F., Foster, J. M.,Wicksten, M. K., Chen, M., Davenport, R., Soliman, Y., Wang Y. 2010. Bathymetric zonation of deep-sea macrofauna in relation to export of surface phytoplankton production Marine Ecology Progress Series. 399. 1-14. (http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v399/feature/). ISSN 0171-8630 10.3354/meps08388 Abstract
- Doti, B. L. and Wilson, G. D. F. 2010. The genera Carpias Richardson, Ianiropsis Sars and Janaira Moreira & Pires (Isopoda: Asellota: Janiridae) from Australia, with description of three new species Zootaxa. 2625. 1-39. (http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/list/2010/2625.html). ISSN 1175-5326 Abstract
- Fu, Wan-Lu, Wilson, G.D.F., Jiang, Da-Yong, Sun, Yuan-Lin, Hao, Wei-Cheng, Sun, Zuo-Yu. 2010. A New Species of Protamphisopus Nicholls (Crustacea, Isopoda, Phreatoicidea) from Middle Triassic Luoping Fauna of Yunnan Province, China Journal of Paleontology. 84. (5): 1003-1013. (http://jpaleontol.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/84/5/1003). 10.1666/10-042.1 Abstract
- Schotte, M., Markham, J. C. & Wilson, G. D. F.. 2009. Isopoda (Crustacea) of the Gulf of Mexico D. L. Felder & D. K. Camp. Jen Cork (ed). Jen Cork (ed). pp 973-986 In Gulf of Mexico - Its Origins, Waters, and Biota: Biodiversity. Texas A&M University Press, College Station, Texas.
- Wilson G. D. F., Humphrey C. L., Colgan D. J., Gray K. A. and Johnson R. N. 2009. Monsoon-influenced speciation patterns in a species flock of Eophreatoicus Nicholls (Isopoda; Crustacea) Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 51. 349-364. Abstract
- Wilson, G. D. F. 2009. The phylogenetic position of the Isopoda in the Peracarida (Crustacea: Malacostraca) Arthropod Systematics & Phylogeny. 67. 159-198. Abstract
- Wilson, G. D. F. 2008. Gondwanan groundwater: subterranean connections of Australian phreatoicidean isopods (Crustacea) to India and New Zealand Invertebrate Systematics. 22. 301-310. Abstract
- Wilson, G. D. F. 2008. Global diversity of Isopod crustaceans (Crustacea; Isopoda) in freshwater E. V. Balian, C. Lévêque, H. Segers & K. Martens (ed). pp 231-240 In Freshwater Animal Diversity Assessment. Springer, Netherlands.
- Wilson, G. D. F. 2008. A review of taxonomic concepts in the Nannoniscidae (Isopoda, Asellota), with a key to the genera and a description of Nannoniscus oblongus Sars Zootaxa. 1680. 1-24. Abstract
- Wilson, G. D. F. 2008. Local and regional species diversity of benthic Isopoda (Crustacea) in the deep Gulf of Mexico Deep Sea Research II. 55. 2634-2649. Abstract
- See all publications (prior to 2008)