Animal Species:Reef Ocean Perch, Helicolenus percoides (Richardson, 1842)
The Reef Ocean Perch can be recognised by its notched dorsal fin, large pectoral fins and its colouration. The species occurs in depths between 80 m and 350 m, in temperate marine waters of Australia and New Zealand.
Standard Common Name
Reef Ocean Perch
The Reef Ocean Perch can be recognised by its notched dorsal fin, large pectoral fins and its colouration. The body is usually orangish to white with two branched bands laterally and small dark spots on the head.
All species in the genus Helicolenus have a low spineless ridge (the suborbital stay) running horizontally below the eye.
The Reef Ocean Perch grows to 30 cm in length.
The Reef Ocean Perch looks similar to the deeper-dwelling Bigeye Ocean Perch, Helicolenus barathri. .
The species is occurs in Australia and New Zealand,
In Australia it is known from central coast of New South Wales to southern Western Australia.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
The species is found in depths between 80 m and 350 m.
It is an important commercial species in southern marine waters of Australia.
- Poss, S.G. in Gomon, M.F, C.J.M. Glover & R.H. Kuiter (Eds). 1994. The Fishes of Australia's South Coast. State Print, Adelaide. Pp. 992.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1993. Coastal Fishes of South-Eastern Australia. Crawford House Press. Pp. 437.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Yearsley, G.K., Last, P.R. & R.D. Ward. 1999. Australian Seafood Handbook, an identification guide to domestic species. CSIRO Marine Research. Pp. 461.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags fishes, ichthyology, Reef Ocean Perch, Helicolenus percoides, temperate water, marine, notched dorsal fin, orange, white, stripes or bands, dots/spots, 10 cm - 30 cm, deepsea, commerical species,