Animal Species:Redstripe Basslet, Pseudanthias fasciata (Kamohara, 1954)
The Redstripe Basslet can be recognised by the broad red stripe along the side of the body. In Australia it is known from northern to southern Queensland but is most commonly seen on the Great Barrier Reef.
Standard Common Name
Red-stripe Sea-perch, Red-stripe Seaperch, Striped Anthias
The Redstripe Basslet can be recognised by the broad red stripe along the side of the body from the operculum to the caudal peduncle. There are rows of yellow spots along the lower sides of the body.
The species grows to 21 cm in length.
The Redstripe Basslet is found in tropical marine waters of the Indo-Pacific. In Australia it is known from northern to southern Queensland but is most commonly seen on the Great Barrier Reef.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
The species occurs mostly on coral reefs in depths between 20 m and 68 m.
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Michael, S.W. 1998. Reef Fishes. Volume 1. A Guide to Their Identification, Behaviour, and Captive Care. Microcosm. Pp. 624.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Redstripe Basslet, Serranidae, Pseudanthias fasciata, stripes or bands, broad red stripe, Great Barrier Reef, Red-stripe Sea-perch, Red-stripe Seaperch, Striped Anthias, dots/spots, yellow spots, 10 cm - 30 cm, tropical water, coral reef, marine,