Animal Species:Mini-fin Parrotfish, Scarus altipinnis (Steindachner, 1879)
The Min-ifin Parrotfish can be recognised by its colouration and dorsal fin shape. The species occurs in tropical and some warm temperate marine waters of the Western and Central Pacific.
Standard Common Name
Filamentfinned Parrotfish, High-fin Parrotfish, Minifin Parrotfish
The Min-ifin Parrotfish can be recognised by its colouration and dorsal fin shape. The spinous dorsal fin and first soft ray are elevated above the remainder of the fin. The caudal fin is rounded with extended lobes in adults. The dental plates are exposed and blue to dark green in both initial and terminal phase individuals.
Colouration changes with growth. Juveniles have a yellow head and a striped to mottled body. Initial phase fish are brown with white spots. Terminal phase fish become green posteriorly. They have two blue-green bars on the chin and spots and lines around the eye and on the operculum.
The species grows to 60 cm in length.
The species occurs in tropical and some warm temperate marine waters of the Western and Central Pacific. In Australia it is known from the northern Great Barrier Reef south to the central coast of New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Choat, J.H. & J.E. Randall. 1986. A Review of the Parrotfishes (Family Scaridae) of the Great Barrier Reef of Australia with Description of a New Species. Records of the Australian Museum. 38: 175-228.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Myers, R.F. 1999. Micronesian Reef Fishes. Coral Graphics. Pp. 330.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Mini-fin Parrotfish, Scarus altipinnis, Scaridae, grey, brown, greyblue, yellow, green, 30 cm - 1 m, blotches/mottled, coral reef, rocky reef, marine, adult, distinguishing dorsal fin,