Media release: Celebrate Science on Saturday
The Australian Museum will celebrate National Science Week (11 – 19 August 2012) by throwing open its doors for ‘Science on Saturday’ - a family fun day on Saturday 11 August 2012.
From life-size dinosaurs to the power of liquid nitrogen, there will be something for everyone to enjoy with an array of shows, workshops and tours for all ages.
As part of the Australian Museum’s Science Festival, Science on Saturday will encourage visitors to experience, appreciate and understand the science they see every day.
Science Communication Manager, Catherine Beehag said a ‘science-smart’ community is vital for solving the challenges facing modern society.
“Kids love science because it engages their natural curiosity about how things work. Encouraging this type of critical thinking is integral to tackling the big issues plaguing the world today, not to mention great for parents who are faced with that age old question – ‘but why?’,”she said.
“Our festival aims to inspire the minds and imaginations of young and old alike by offering hands-on, practical examples of real science in action.”
Highlights of the day include:
- Jollybops Show: Explore what energy is and discover how it is transformed with The Wizard and his sidekick Rusty the Robot. Shows at 10.00 – 10.45am and 12.45pm – 1.30pm.
- Winny the Dinosaur: Learn about Australia’s prehistoric past in a humorous show complete with skeletons, fossils and a life-sized Muttaburrasaurus. Shows at 11.00 – 11.30am and 2.45 – 3.15pm.
- ABC Surfing Scientist Show: Join ABC Scientist, Ruben Meerman, as he presents the power of liquid nitrogen in these eye-popping demonstrations. Shows at 11.45 – 12.30pm; 1.45 - 2.30pm; and 3.30 – 4.15pm.
- Australian Wildlife Displays: Get up close to a range of native Australian animals including crocodiles, tawny frogmouths and lizards. Find the animals throughout the museum from 10 – 2pm.
- Australian Museum Research Library: Sneak behind the scenes of the research library and discover rare and historic books. The library will be open from 10 – 12.30pm.
- Velcro Wall – Throw yourself at our giant velcro wall and see how sticky you are. How high can you go? 9.30 – 4pm.
- Indigenous Science Experience – Macquarie University will present a series of fascinating seminars on Indigenous culture throughout the day.
Further details and booking information can be found here
Publicity & Media Relations
Phone: +61 (0)2 9320 6181