Animal Species:Largetooth Beardie, Lotella rhacina (Forster, 1801)
The Largetooth Beardie is yellow-grey to red-brown with white fin margins. It is usually seen in caves, in bays and coastal reefs, in Australia and New Zealand.
Standard Common Name
Beardie Cod, Kelp Rock Cod, Kelp Rock-Cod, Ling, Ling Cod-fish, Rock Cod, Small-scaled Rock Cod
The Largetooth Beardie is yellow-grey to red-brown with white fin margins. It has a short-based first dorsal fin, closely followed by a long-based second dorsal fin. The pelvic fins are positioned anterior to the pectoral fins. The body is covered with tiny cycloid scales. There is a barbel on the chin.
The species grows to 50 cm in length.
The species occurs in Australia and New Zealand. In Australia it is known from northern New South Wales coast, around the temperate south of the country and north to the central coast of Western Australia.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
It is usually seen in caves in bays and coastal reefs.
- Edgar, G.J. 1997. Australian Marine Life: the plants and animals of temperate waters. Reed Books. Pp. 544.
- Gomon, M.F. in Gomon, M.F., Glover, C.J.M. & R.H. Kuiter (Eds). 1994. The Fishes of Australia's South Coast. State Print, Adelaide. Pp. 992.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Paxton, J.R., D.F. Hoese, G.R. Allen & J.E. Hanley. 1989. Zoological Catalogue of Australia Vol.7 Pisces Petromyzontidae to Carangidae. Canberra: Australian Biological Resources Survey. Pp. i-xii, 1-665.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags fishes, ichthyology, Largetooth Beardie, Lotella rhacina, Moridae, yellow-grey, red-brown, coastal reef, cave, bay, Beardie Cod, Kelp Rock Cod, Kelp Rock-Cod, Ling, Ling Cod-fish, Rock Cod, Small-scaled Rock Cod, barbel, 30 cm - 1 m, temperate water, long and skinny,