Animal Species:Klein's Butterflyfish, Chaetodon kleinii Bloch, 1790
Klein's Butterflyfish has a dusky yellow body with a white bar on the side. Klein's Butterflyfish is found widely in tropical marine waters throughout the Indo-Pacific.
Standard Common Name
Brown Butterflyfish, White-spotted Butterflyfish
Klein's Butterflyfish has a dusky yellow body with a white bar on the side. Its head is white and the pelvic fins are black. A black bar runs through the eye. In adults, this bar is blue above the eye.
The species grows to 14 cm in length.
Klein's Butterflyfish is found widely in tropical marine waters throughout the Indo-Pacific. In Australia it is known from central to north-western Western Australia and from the northern Great Barrier Reef to the south coast of New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Allen, G.R., Steene, R. & M. Allen. 1998. A Guide to Angelfishes & Butterflyfishes. Odyssey Publishing/Tropical Reef Research. Pp. 250.
- Allen, G.R. & R. Swainston. 1988. The Marine Fishes of North-Western Australia. A Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 201.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology