Australian Museum Journal Some unusual stone artefacts from Australia and New Guinea

Shortform:
McCarthy, 1944, Rec. Aust. Mus. 21(5): 264–266
Author(s):
McCarthy, Frederick D.
Year published:
1944
Title:
Some unusual stone artefacts from Australia and New Guinea
Serial title:
Records of the Australian Museum
Volume:
21
Issue:
5
Start page:
264
End page:
266
DOI:
10.3853/j.0067-1975.21.1944.541
Language:
English
Plates:
plates xvi–xvii
Date published:
22 June 1944
Cover date:
22 June 1944
ISSN:
0067-1975
CODEN:
RAUMAJ
Publisher:
The Australian Museum
Place published:
Sydney, Australia
Subjects:
ANTHROPOLOGY; ABORIGINES: AUSTRALIAN; NEW GUINEA
Digitized:
03 September 2009
Reference number:
541
EndNote package:
EndNote file
Title page:
Title page (137kb PDF)
Complete work:
Complete work (1365kb PDF)

Abstract

In this paper is described a series of stone artefacts which either possess unusual features or are new forms. They have been acquired from time to time by the Australian Museum. (1). E.25986. South Wambo, near Bulga, Hunter Valley, New South Wales (Plate xvii, fig. 7). This remarkable stone club was found by Mr. A. N. Eather on an old ramp-site. It is made of a hard, fine-grained granular rock, and its surface is weathered. It is a natural club-shaped stone that has been ground at each end, on both facets, to a bladed or spatulate shape. The broad head, which is 9 cm. wide and 2.5 cm. thick, is rounded on the edges, but has a sharp-edged and rounded end 1.5 cm. wide. The handle tapers from a rectangular cross-section 7 cm. wide at the top, to a sharp-edged blade at the grip end. In shape it resembles bladed wooden clubs, with straight or curved handles, from this area, and it was no doubt utilized by the aborigines for this reason. It is 56 cm. long, and weighs 3 lb. 8 oz.