Animal Species:Immaculate Glidergoby, Valenciennea immaculata (Ni, 1981)
The Immaculate Glidergoby occurs in tropical marine waters of the Western Pacific. When disturbed the species backs tail-first into a hole in the sand.
Standard Common Name
Immaculate Glider Goby, Immaculate Goby, Kuiter's Goby, Red-lined Sleeper-goby
The Immaculate Glidergoby can be recognised by its colouration. It is pale with two blue-edged reddish-orange lines on the head and body. It has a pointed caudal fin.
The species grows to 12cm in length.
The species occurs in tropical marine waters of the Western Pacific. In Australia it is known from the central coast of Western Australia to the Northern Territory and the Great Barrier Reef, Queensland to the central New South Wales coast.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Click on the map for detailed information. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
Other behaviours and adaptations
When disturbed the Immaculate Glidergoby backs tail-first into a hole in the sand.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437. (as Valenciennea sp)
- Kuiter, R.H. & T. Tonozuka. 2001. Indonesian Reef Fishes. Zoonetics. Pp.893.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Immaculate Glidergoby, Valenciennea immaculata, Gobiidae, pale, long and skinny, 10 cm - 30 cm, stripes, soft substrate (sand mud), marine, reddish-orange stripes on the head and body, red, white, brown, blue,