Image: Shell doll E053105-015 #3
Shell doll collected by Fred McCarthy during the American-Australian Scientific Expedition to Arnhem Land in 1948. It was acquired by the museum in 1949, and is from Hemple Bay, Groote Eylandt. Shell dolls were used by both boys and girls to represent the different members of their families, and were moved about in various groupings. The larger shells represented the parents, whilst the smaller ones were the children.
- Finton Mahony
- © Australian Museum