Image: W12 - orb web
W12 - orb web. Web2spider identification Guide.
- Adapted from Spiders, B.Y. Main, 1976 by Helen Smith
- © Australian Museum
- Web is sloping.
- Radial lines less numerous, less than 40 in the 90 degree section.
- Fluffy egg sacs may be present in a line though the missing sector into the web centre.
- Large young females often brightly coloured with yellow and red, but as they mature they become fawn to make the debris and egg sacs which they later add to the web.
- By day, the spider can be camouflaged in the centre, head down.
- Barrier web often present.