Image: Shield B1788, front

Shield B1788, front

This broad, leaf-shaped shield is 89 cm long and 28 cm wide. The British Marine Officer of the First Fleet Watkin Tench observed in his diary in 1788 that shields like this would be ‘dug out of solid wood ... with great labour’. Two holes are made for attaching the handle. Three red lines are painted on both the front and back. Shields of this type and painted design were used in the Sydney area in the late 18th century.

Photographer:
Photography Department
Rights:
© Australian Museum

Last Updated: