Image: Parkes-Farmer Eastern Wing
The Parkes/Farmer Eastern Wing demonstrating the international style of the William Street extension.
- © Australian Museum
1959-1963: Parkes/Farmer Eastern Wing
William Street Extension
In 1957 plans were made to extend the Museum down William street, and Joseph Van der Steen under Government Architect, Edward Farmer, designed a six storey extension, linked to the Lewis building by a glazed entrance & stairwell.
The two basement floors providing workspace for scientific staff were built 1959-1960, and the superstructure was finished in 1963. This wing presents a blank windowless façade to the street. In 1977, to mark the Museum's 150th anniversary, bronze lower case letters were added to the façade identifying the building as 'the australian museum'.