Image: Cave spider, Stiphidion sp.
Cave spider, Stiphidion sp.
- Mike Gray
- © Australian Museum
- Common name:
- Cave spider or Sombrero Spider
- Scientific name:
- Stiphidion sp.
Wbe2spider Identification Guide. Web type: W29 - sheet web.
- Retreat burrows open on the underside of the sheet, on which they run upside down.
- Retreats may be shallow burrows or crevices in earth banks, rotting wood or under bark.
- All Stiphiid genera (except Therlinya) have longitudinal dark stripes and can only be told apart using a microscope.
- Steatoda webs in certain situations can look very similar to Stiphiid webs but usually the silk is stiffer and the retreat is well tucked away so that the entrance is not obvious.