Animal Species:Highfin Grouper, Epinephelus maculatus (Bloch, 1790)
Adult Highfin Grouper are light brown with dark brown spots. Juveniles are darker overall and have additional white blotches on the head, body and fins. The species occurs tropical marine waters of the Western Pacific.
Standard Common Name
Blackfin Cod, Brown-spotted Rock-cod, Marbled Rockcod, Spotty Cod, Trout Cod
Adult Highfin Grouper are light brown with dark brown spots. There are two large dark areas on the upper sides extending into the dorsal fins. These are both preceded by a large whitish area.
Juveniles have black and white areas on the upper sides like the adults, however they are darker overall and have additional white blotches on the head, body and fins.
The species grows to 50cm in length.
It occurs in tropical marine waters of the Western Pacific.
In Australia it is recorded from north-western Western Australia and from the northern Great Barrier Reef to the central coast of New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
- maculatus (Bloch, 1790)
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Hutchins, J.B. 2001. Checklist of the fishes of Western Australia. Records of the Western Australian Museum. Supplement No. 63: 9-50.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags fishes, ichthyology, Highfin Grouper, Trout Cod, Epinephelus maculatus, light brown, dark brown spots, dots/spots, tropical water, marine, Blackfin Cod, Brown-spotted Rock-cod, Marbled Rockcod, Spotty Cod, 30 cm - 1 m, Serranidae,