Animal Species:Goldlined Sweetlips, Plectorhinchus chrysotaenia (Bleeker, 1855)
Goldlined Sweetlips can be recognised by its blue-grey colour, and narrow yellow stripes on the head and body.
Standard Common Name
Goldstriped Sweetlips, Celebes Sweetlips, Goldbanded Sweetlips, Lined Sweetlips
The Goldlined Sweetlips can be recognised by its blue-grey colour, and narrow yellow stripes on the head and body. The fins are bright yellow and the belly and chin are white.
The species grows to at least 40 cm in length with larger individuals reported by divers.
Goldlined Sweetlips occur from the southern Japan, south to the northern Great Barrier Reef, Australia and east to New Caledonia. Sightings of this species in more southern Queensland waters have yet to be confirmed by the collection of specimens.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
The species is often seen in aggregations during the day, down to a depth of 25 m.
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Hoese, D.F., Bray, D.J., Paxton, J.R. & G.R. Allen. 2006. Fishes. In Beesley, P.L. & A. Wells. (eds) Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing: Australia. parts 1-3, pages 1-2178.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Myers, R.F. 1999. Micronesian Reef Fishes. A Comprehensive Guide to the Coral Reef Fishes of Micronesia. Coral Graphics. Pp. 330.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Goldlined Sweetlips, Plectorhinchus chrysotaenia, Haemulidae, blue-grey, yellow stripes, Goldstriped Sweetlips, Celebes Sweetlips, Goldbanded Sweetlip, Lined Sweetlips, white underside, 30 cm - 40 cm, Great Barrier Reef, tropical water, marine,