Animal Species:Fiveline Cardinalfish, Cheilodipterus quinquelineatus Cuvier, 1828
The Fiveline Cardinalfish is whitish with five black stripes on the sides of the body. It is found in tropical (and some temperate) waters of the Indo-West Pacific.
Standard Common Name
Five-line Cardinal, Fiveband Cardinalfish
The Fiveline Cardinalfish is whitish with five black stripes on the sides of the body. The caudal peduncle is yellow with a black spot at the base of the middle rays of the caudal fin. The species has large canine teeth.
The species grows to 12 cm in length.
The Fiveline Cardinalfish occurs in tropical (and some temperate) waters of the Indo-West Pacific. In Australia it is known from southern Western Australia, around the tropical north and south to the central coast of New South Wales.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
The Fiveline Cardinalfish occurs on coral and rocky reefs.
- Allen, G.R. 1997. Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-east Asia. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 292.
- Allen, G.R. & R. Swainston. 1988. The Marine Fishes of North-Western Australia. A Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Western Australian Museum. Pp. 201.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.
- Randall, J.E., Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1997. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Crawford House Press. Pp. 557.
Mark McGrouther , Collection Manager, Ichthyology
Tags Fishes, Ichthyology, Fiveline Cardinalfish, Cheilodipterus quinquelineatus, Apogonidae, stripes or bands, black stripes, tropical water, temperate water, marine, Five-line Cardinal, Fiveband Cardinalfish, 10 cm - 30 cm, coral reef, rocky reef,