Evolution of Australian Biota Study Day - Dubbo
A full day outreach program for Stage 6 Biology students.
This full day outreach program, developed by the Australian Musuem, the Royal Botanic Gardens and Taronga Zoo program is held at Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Dubbo. Students examine fossils, specimens, live animals and plants to investigate the evolution and adaptations of Australian animals and plants.
The Study Day comprises three educator-led sessions of one hour and 15 minutes duration each:
- An Australian Museum educator facilitates this session. Students work in small groups and perform first-hand investigations using specimens of Australian animals to compare current and extinct forms. Activities focus on Australian megafauna and on platypus evolution. These activities are based on Activities 1, 4 and 5 within the Learning from fossils session available at the Museum.
- A Royal Botanic Gardens educator leads the students in a session where students investigate native Australian plants, both past and present, including living plant fossils and pollination strategies.
- A Taronga Western Plains Zoo educator leads the students in a session with live animals to learn about the adaptations and evolution of native Australian animals.
- Bookings for this venue are made direct with Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Dubbo
Phone Taronga Western Plains Zoo on (02) 6881 1433 or Fax (02) 6884 4530
- Maximum number of students: 25 per session (3 groups per day)
- Duration: Three 75 minute sessions
- Cost: $20.90 (incl GST) per student for 3 sessions. Special 'Zoosnooz' rates available.
- Location: Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Dubbo
- Transport: Coach parking available
- Taronga Western Plains Zoo Risk Assessment form
Dates Available: 16 - 18 August 2016
Booking changes or cancellations:
- Decreases or increases in your booked number must be advised by 4 weeks before the excursion date.
- If the number of students attending the Study Day is significantly lower (by 5 students or more) than expected, the school will be invoiced for the booked number of students.
- We reserve the right to cancel days/sessions not fully filled.
Evolution of Australian Biota Study Days are also available on selected dates at:
Education Resource Kit
An education kit will be sent by Taronga Western Plains Zoo before your booked excursion date.
Beth Blaxland , Education Project Officer