Evolution of Australian Biota Study Day - Mount Annan
A full day outreach program specifically for Stage 6 Biology students.
This full day outreach program was developed by the Australian Musuem, the Royal Botanic Gardens & Domain Trust and Taronga Conservation Society Australia. Students examine fossils, specimens, live animals and plants to investigate the evolution and adaptations of Australian animals and plants. It is held at The Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan.
The Study Day comprises three educator-led sessions of 65 minutes duration each.
- An Australian Museum educator provides an introduction on Australian megafauna then facilitates the Museum session, Learning from fossils. Students work in small groups and perform first-hand investigations using fossils and specimens of Australian animals to compare current and extinct forms. Activities focus on Australian megafauna and on platypus evolution.
- An Australian Botanic Garden educator leads a session where students investigate native Australian plants, including living plant fossils, and pollination strategies.
- The Taronga Zoomobile and educator visits the Garden allowing students to interact with live animals while learning about the adaptations and evolution of native Australian animals including kangaroos and echidnas. The changing ideas of scientists are also considered with reference to the modern Platypus.
Booking a Study Day:
- Bookings are essential
- Maximum number of students: 25 per session (3 groups per day) – smaller groups may be combined
- Duration: Three 65 minute sessions – usually 9.30 am to 2 pm
- Cost: TBC
- Location: The Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan (near Narellan and Campbelltown)
- Botanic Gardens Trust Risk assessment
- Transport: Coach parking available
- 2017 dates coming soon
Booking changes or cancellations:
- Decreases or increases in your booked number must be advised by 4 weeks before the excursion date.
- If the number of students attending the Study Day is significantly lower (by 5 students or more) than expected, the school will be invoiced for the booked number of students. (Your Booking Confirmation form from the Australian Museum will show the booked number expected.)
Evolution of Australian Biota Study Days are also available on selected dates at:
The Australian Museum runs two sessions at the Museum for the Evolution of Australian Biota topic that can also be booked independently throughout the year. Booking these sessions at other times during the year allows flexibility in session times, length and content according to each group's particular needs.
Education Resource Kit
When your booking is confirmed you will be emailed a link to the education kit and the password to allow you to access these documents:
- Teacher Notes
- Student Activity Sheets for all four sessions
Beth Blaxland , Education Project Officer