What's on: Surviving Australia Exhibition
Get close to some intriguing Australian fauna.
- Event Type:
- Everyday event
- 09.30 AM to 05.00 PM
- Level 2, Surviving Australia Exhibition
- Free after admission
If you think Australian wildlife is just about dingoes, koalas and kangaroos then be prepared to be challenged in this fascinating exhibition that unveils some very surprising animal secrets!
Foccusing on the weird and wonderful, the familiar and strange, Surviving Australia uncovers the key to the survival of Australian animals - and perhaps even ourselves!
The exhibition is divided into six sections brimming with information on Australia's habitats on land, under water and in between: the Blue Edge, Island Homes, Our Backyard, Dangerous Australians, Adapt or Die, and Where Are They Now?
Discover tales of adaptation and survival over millions of years in a changing climate and landscape.
Things to do
- Wonder at Australian giants (megafauna) from the past including giant wombats, metre-long echidnas and even fanged kangaroos.
- Learn how Australia's top-10 venomous snakes enhance Australia's reputation for being a dangerous place!
- Reconnect with fascinating animals such as the extinct Tasmanian Tiger.
- Discover some surprising residents of Sydney's harbour, coastal waters and offshore islands such as bandicoots residing in Sydney's northern beaches.
- Meet live animals including baby Freshwater Crocodiles, Lizards, Frogs, Marine Invertebrates and a Python.
- Hear about the latest research and field trips of Museum scientists on show in the mini-theatre.
- Uncover how Australia's most dangerous creatures use secret strategies for hunting, catching and killing their prey.
- Browse through the Museum Shop on your way out and pick up an Australian wildlife or natural world gift including books, toys and games, and the Museum's official souvenir guidebook. Great for kids' presents, local and international tourists, or as a treat for yourself.