What's on: Search and Discover Centre
Search. Discover. Question. Investigate. Nature and Culture Explore. Enquire.
- Event Type:
- Everyday event
- 09.30 AM to 05.00 PM
- Level 2, Search & Discover
- Free after admission
With thousands of objects, animals and fossils at your fingertips Search and Discover is a showcase of the museum’s collection and provides a rich interactive experience for all visitors.
What can you do here?
- Observe up close our living animals. Learn about their lifecycles and watch their behavior.
- Get hands on. Touch and interact with museum objects, discover minute details of animals and insects using real scientific equipment.
- Inquire. Find answers to your questions. Ask our staff, peruse our books and magazines, log onto our computers and explore our specimens and objects.
- Talk to an expert. Is that a rock or fossil you found in your garden? Is the spider living in your kitchen dangerous? Our friendly expert staff are on hand to help answer your questions.
- Hone your own research skills. Use reference books, the latest magazines and online resources to solve your own queries and work on your own projects.
- Examine real Museum specimens. Look under the microscope and discuss your findings with Museum experts.
- Touch and feel a preserved echidna. Take photos of many other specimens on display. Kids (and big kids) love feeling the different textures that you'd never normally get to touch.
- Meet our live animals, from a bearded dragon to stick insects.
- Learn about the human story and examine the physical evidence (skull casts, replica artefacts and real stone tools) that help us piece together the evolutionary journey of modern humans.
- Browse the collection drawers and see everything from beetles and parrots to mammal bones and shells right up close.
Do you have a question about Australian animals, Indigenous Australian cultures or the Museum’s science? Visit us here at the Centre or go to our Ask the Experts page.
Tags School assignment help, research on Australian wildlife, research Australian animals, research Australian birds, research Australian fish, research Australian insects, research Australian minerals, ask a scientist, ask a researcher, scientific question, information centre, information desk, museum resource centre, behind the scenes at the museum, search and discover, S&D, school projects, resources, donation, ask a question, inquiry, enquiry, identification, identify, enquiry centre, Australian spiders, Australian snakes, Australian frogs, Australian reptiles, Australian mammals, monotremes, marsupial mammals, duck-billed platypus, echidna, permanent, books, DVDs, computers, internet access, staffed area, audio facilities,