What's on: Birds Exhibition
This unique exhibition celebrates Australia's abundant bird life. Closely examine specimens you've only seen in books or glimpsed in the wild.
- Event Type:
- Everyday event
- 09.30 AM to 05.00 PM
- Level 2, Birds & Insects Exhibition
- Free after admission
With their special ability to fly and inclination to sing, birds have always held a special place in the human imagination.
Arranged in taxonomic order, you can compare the bills, feet and feathers of similar birds and observe rare and endangered species plus a few familiar faces such as the magnificent pelican and cheeky cockatoo as well.
Things to do:
- Learn about the biology of birds - such as how they fly and how chicks develop in eggs - and gather information on bird flight, behaviour, and evolution.
- Get up close and personal with birds from your backyard or the Bush you would otherwise only glimpse: lyrebirds, magpies, cockatoos and many more.
- Close your eyes and listen to an array of gorgeous bird songs as you explore the collection.
- Get close to a rare Night Parrot. One of only 24 specimens in the world, this specimen (the first in almost 80 years) was found by a Museum ornithologist in 1990.
- Be amazed at the range of colours that occur in nature - from magnificent Rainbow Lorikeets to tiny blue wrens.
- Browse through the Museum Shop on your way out and pick up a bird gift or gift about the natural world including books, toys and games, and the Museum's official souvenir guidebook. Great for kids' presents, local and international tourists, or as a treat for yourself.
Touch Table Alert!
Look out for the special touch table in this exhibition, it features special pieces from our collection that both little and big kids are encouraged to touch, feel and examine at close range. Chat with trained staff about the specimens and catch up on the Museum's latest research work.
Birds in Backyards
Are you a closet twitcher? Get involved in this wonderful online research project and learn how to create bird-friendly spaces in your garden and local community. Membership of Birds in Backyards is free!
Tags Australian birds, bird research, ornithology, bird biology, bird songs, Australian bird life, birdlife, Australian wild life, wildlife, birds at the Australian Museum, twitchers, things to do in Sydney, Sydney events, Sydney exhibitions, permanent,