What's on: Travel Program: Oahu, Kauai, the Big Island of Hawaii - Volcanos, Telescopes and Tropical delights!
Join volcanologist Nick Petford and Astronomer Fred Watson on this trip of a lifetime
- Event Type:
- Special event
- 11 April 2014 to 20 April 2014
- AUD$5190* per person – twin share AUD $1990 single supplement
About the trip
This 10 day tour has everything Hawaii has to offer the lovers of adventure, science and creature comforts. Get up close-and-personal with volcanoes, lava tubes and craters with world-renowned volcanologist, Vice Chancellor, Nick Petford, and into some of the world’s leading observatories with astronomer Fred Watson in Mauna Kea. Travelling through the islands of Oahu, The Big Island and Kauai take in the botany, geology and archaeology whilst keeping en eye out for whales, green turtles, rare tropical birds and a total lunar eclipse.
About your leaders
Professor Nick Petford is the Vice Chancellor of the University of Northampton. Nick has worked in industry (BP) and on academic and commercial research projects throughout the world, most recently as a consultant to DFID (UK) and CONICYT, the National Research Council for Chile.
Nick is a former Royal Society University Research Fellow and Fellow of Churchill College, Cambridge. He has held visiting research appointments at the Universities of Michigan and Vermont (USA) and NASA and is currently visiting professor at Macquarie University (Australia) and the Open University.
Nick is known internationally for his expertise in magmatic systems and volcanology and is a highly cited author with over 250 journal papers, abstracts, book reviews and other articles to his name (some from a brief stint as a journalist at the Times Higher). His research work embraces field investigations and mathematical modelling of the flow of molten rock on earth and other planets, and the mechanical stability of volcanoes.
He is currently working with colleagues at NASA on the physics of ice magma. Most recently he has begun research work on the fluid dynamics of blood flow and 3D structure of drainage apparatus in the human eye.
Dr Fred Watson is Astronomer in Charge of the Australian Astronomical Observatory at Coonabarabran, and is well known for his astronomy slots on ABC radio and on Network Ten’s ‘The Project’. His books include “Stargazer - the Life and Times of the Telescope” and “Why is Uranus Upside Down?”.
In January 2010, Fred was awarded Member of the Order of Australia for service to astronomy, particularly the promotion and popularization of space science through public outreach.
- Enjoy a privately escorted tour of The Bishops Museum and Planetarium
- Visit the Puaka Petroglyph Park where 2,717 petroglyphs, with a variety of figures can be found
- Visit Mauna Kea, renowned as one of the world’s greatest astronomical observing sites and visit some of the amazing telescopes and hear of current research projects with our special guest from the Institute of Astronomy
- Have a private tour of the Imiloa Centre for Astronomy including a special Hawaiian Volcano lecture by Nick Petford over dinner
- Adventure in the Volcanoes National Park starting at the Panaluu Black Sand Beach, home to endangered Green Sea Turtles and Hawksbill.
- With our special guest host, Professor Nick Petford, you will ascend to the summit of Kilauea inside this World Heritage Site and International Biosphere Preserve. The summit caldera, steam vents, cinder fields, and native rainforests are all on our “must see” list.
- Experience a night viewing of a live volcano. This is an incredible way to experience the dynamic energy of Kilauea, the most active volcano in the world.
- Travel to the ‘The Grand Canyon of the Pacific’ we see how thousands of years earthquakes and erosion have created the dramatic landscape of the Waimea Canyon.
- Special guest host, Professor Nick Petford
- Special guest host, astronomer Fred Watson
- 9 nights, 4 star accommodation, city or mountain-view rooms
- Special interpretive and Local Guides
- Bird watching and hiking programs
- Meals as per itinerary (B = Buffet Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner)
- Entrance to observatories, museums and venues as listed
- Private air-conditioned coach
- Porterage, Tips and gratuities
- Internal domestic flights – Honolulu, Kona – Hilo, Kauai
* Prices are subject to change. Itinerary may change at any time. Valid for travel 11-20 April, 2014. Valid for sale 4 May 2013 – 11 February 2015, or until sold out. A maximum of 24 passengers and minimum of 18 will be required to ensure departure. Further conditions apply.
Bookings & more information
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Serena on 02 9320 6123.