What's on: Travel Program: In the footsteps of Alexander the Great
Join ancient historian Dr Chris Matthew on a 3-week journey in Greece and Turkey.
- Event Type:
- Special event
- 29 September 2013 to 17 October 2013
- All inclusive $8790 per person twin share.
About the Trip
For over 2,000 years Alexander the Great has excited the imagination of people around the world. On this cultural and archaeological tour, and follow in Alexander’s footsteps, we will explore the very best that ancient and modern Greece has to offer, from fascinating archaeological sites and museums in Athens and Delphi to stunning mountain scenery and gorgeous sea-views.
In Turkey we follow in Alexander’s footsteps from the site of Alexander’s first great battle in Turkey at Granicus to the historical cities of Ephesus, Troy, Gallipoli and Bodrum. Throughout the itinerary we will take time to explore the cultural heart of these fascinating countries with visits to the Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace and Blue Mosque in Istanbul.
In the company of Dr Christopher Matthew, Ancient Historian and Experimental Archeaologist, the life and times of Alexander will be brought to life making this unforgettable tour engaging and enlightening. We hope you can join the Australian Museum Members on this exclusive and exciting adventure!
- Marvel at the Acropolis and visit the New Acropolis Museum in Athens
- Visit Delphi, one of the greatest sanctuaries of the ancient world
- Explore the amazing rock formations at Meteroa
- Stand at the entrance to the theatre in Vergina where Phillip II was murdered and Alexander was proclaimed King of the Macedonians
- Discover the great metropolis of Istanbul, Turkey’s most dynamic city and gateway between East and West
- See the Ancient ruins of Troy and Ephesus
- Visit the site of Alexander’s first great battle at Granicus
- Trip escorted by Ancient Historian Dr Christopher Matthew
About your leader
Christopher Matthew graduated with first class honours from the University of New England in 2006 where he focused on the study of ancient Greek and Roman warfare. He then moved to Macquarie University in Sydney where he completed a PhD in 2009 which used physical re-creation, experimental archaeology and ballistics testing to examine the mechanics of warfare in ancient Greece.
This research has been very well received and he is now regarded as a leading authority on ancient Greek warfare. The author of numerous articles and books on various aspects of warfare in the ancient world, including a new translation into English of Aelian’s Tactica – an ancient military manual detailing how Alexander the Great organised his armies (due for publication late 2012).
Christopher has presented papers at a number of local and international conferences, and has been an invited ‘guest lecturer’ at several institutions across Australia. Christopher currently holds a position as a lecturer in ancient history at the Australian Catholic University in Strathfield.
- 16 breakfasts, 9 lunches, 10 dinners
- 3.5-4 star hotels on a twin share basis with private facilities
- Return economy international airfare from Sydney with Emirates, including taxes
- One way economy flight Thessaloniki to Istanbul and Bodrum to Istanbul
- Expert English speaking guide throughout (one guide in Greece, one guide in Turkey)
- Group arrival and departure transfers
- All sightseeing and entrance fees as outlined in the program
- All internal ground transport by private vehicle
- Trip escorted by Dr Christopher Matthew
Please note: this tour is designed exclusively for Australian Museum Members and all participants are required to have membership. For more information please call us on 02 9320 6225 or join online now.
How to book
Bookings can also be taken over the phone by calling 02 8270 8400 or 02 9320 6225.