Animal Species:Eastern Sea Garfish, Hyporhamphus australis (Steindachner, 1866)
The Eastern Sea Garfish is found in marine waters along the eastern Australian coast from southern Queensland to eastern Victoria. It is a schooling species that grows to 52 cm in length.
Standard Common Name
Eastern Sea Garfish
At least 18 species of garfishes are known from Australian waters. They can be difficult to accurately identify. Most have very elongate silvery bodies with a long lower jaw and short triangular upper jaw.
The Eastern Sea Garfish grows to 52 cm in length.
The Eastern Sea Garfish is found in marine waters along the eastern Australian coast from southern Queensland to eastern Victoria.
The map below shows the Australian distribution of the species based on public sightings and specimens in Australian Museums. Source: Atlas of Living Australia.
Distribution by collection data
Other behaviours and adaptations
It is a schooling species.
- Allen, G.R., D.F. Hoese, J.R. Paxton, J.E. Randall, B.C. Russell, W.A. Starck, F.H. Talbot & GP Whitley. l976. An annotated checklist of the fishes of Lord Howe Island. Records of the Australian Museum, 30 (15):365-454.
- Francis, M.P. 1993. Checklist of the Coastal Fishes of Lord Howe, Norfolk, and Kermadec Islands, south-west Pacific Ocean. Pacific Science. 47 (2):136-170.
- Hutchins, B. & R. Swainston. 1986. Sea Fishes of Southern Australia. Complete Field Guide for Anglers and Divers. Swainston Publishing. Pp. 180.
- Kuiter, R.H. 1996. Guide to Sea Fishes of Australia. New Holland. Pp. 433.
- Kuiter, R.H. 2000. Coastal Fishes of South-eastern Australia. Gary Allen. Pp. 437.